Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HST Toolpaths not comping Tapered Ball Mill

Mr. Wizzard

I've working all morning trying to figure out why my hst toolpaths won't work right and i think i've got it.

I created my own tapered ball end mill to use for the part. It's a sphere-shaped cavity with draft and a couple small cone-shaped bosses inside.

Never really have issues with surfacing toolpaths, but it's been F'ing me all morning cause i can't figure out why the tool won't follow the surfaces. banghead.gif

I changed the tool to the same sized regular ballnose and now it works.

WTF?

Will Mastercam not comp a tapered ball end mill correctly or am i missing something?

Please help.....

thanks.

This tool is a Harvey clearance cutter. It's a .078 diameter ballnose, .118 loc, then a reduced neck diameter to .195, then the 2 degree taper starts.

It's not a standard tapered cutter.

Does HST not support cutter compensation to the ball on custom tools?

I have this same problem and I didn't before. It didn't show up until i went to MU3. All my custom ball mills do not generate right. On the other hand ,all of my tools that are flat or have a bull nose seem to work right. I cant figure it out ether. banghead.gif

quote:

surface toolpaths will not compensate to an undefined tool.

Question, answered. banghead.gif

I can't use a "tapered" tool, because it can't be defined accurately for the tool i'm using. I need to use an undefined so the profile will come in, but i cannot get the path to come out right.

quote:

I need to use an undefined so the profile will come in, but i cannot get the path to come out right

try this..

draw the tool to size

make it undefined

set the diameter at the intersection

of the tapered wall and a flat bottom.

Set the correct radius in the radius field