Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cycle time help

generaldisarray

I have a part that I am told is taking too long.

I do it in four operations in about 55 min on a 400mm Horizontal.

here is the model

ftp://www.mastercam-cadcam.com/Mastercam_...solids/6135.stp

What do you saturday guys think.Is that too long?

If you want I can upload the Mastercam file but is is mcx mr2

I have heard that we have committed to getting x4

So Ive got that going for me

I see no external holes so I say only do it in 2 operations. I would say 15-20 minutes and I would make sure I am using high speed machining methods for roughing. Very high positive tools and this things should come off the machine looking like new money.

Now you do not suck you just need better ideas how to approach this. There is nothing I dislike more is some down on themselves. Look if someone could do it better at your place they would. They can not so tell them to STFU. You can get better and these guys are pointing you in the right direction. I would recommend you contacting your local tool vendor and asking them to give you some ideas about what tooling would speed it up. SECO has a program where they will help you do a specific job and recommend tooling speeds and feeds on a test bases. If it does not meet or exceed what they said it would you are out nothing. Thinking outside the box does require you know there is something outside of the box.

HTH

What is the max rpm of your spindle?

And what type of endmill are you using? Is it just a regular 3 flute?

Try looking into an OSG Blizzard, or a Hanita Javelin with bright finish.

You can pretty much double your feedrates with those endmills, and get this cycle time down to about 10-15 minutes or so.

They had an "expert" look at my process on this part and he wants to do away with my face mill, inserted endmill and 3 flute knuckle rougher and replace them with one 3/4 carbide 3 flute endmill.

So I need to order a tool holder for this tool.

Do you think a Big Plus shrinker will work?

Does someone make a Big Plus Milling Chuck?

Would a regular milling chuck be better than a shrinker, big plus or not?

I would say a milling chuck would be best unless you already have shrink fit tooling.

quote:

he wants to do away with my face mill, inserted endmill and 3 flute knuckle rougher and replace them with one 3/4 carbide 3 flute endmill.

I think you will find lots of different views on this. Your part is not too big so I think a 3 flute solid carbide tool will work very well and very fast.