Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Drive and Check Surface

jamjo

Hello ,

I had a question about drive and check surfaces.

As we have an option for using a CAD file to define drive surfaces.

Is there an option which will allow me to use a CAD file to specify check surfaces.

This sounds a bit unnecessary

but if it allows me this option,

it saves a lot of computation time

for me instead of using a CAD model for using drive surface.

Thanks

Ashi

• Haha 1

Do you understand levels and how to use them in Mastercam?

Just highlight the surfaces you want to use for a toolpath. Then right click on the levels in the bottom of the screen and copy them to a level you want to use. Now do the same for what you want to use for check surfaces. Now you turn off the level where the model was and you have check and drive surface separated on 2 different levels. Now when you go to select your drive surface have the level with the drive surfaces on. Now when go to pick your check surfaces you now turn off the drive surface level and turn on the check surface.

Now after explaining this I will say it is really not needed IMHO. I have done models with thousands of surfaces and been very efficient at using drive and check surfaces. I think as you get more comfortable using the software you find you do not see external files for drive and check surfaces.

HTH

o.o/

Typically, you would use the same cad file for both drive and check surfaces. A drive surface is merely the portion of the model that you would like to machine while check surfaces are where you want to avoid machining. Some models and machining strategies require no check surfaces at all.

As for the level issue, You have the luxury of using multiple levels in Mastercam. In a nut shell, they reduce clutter. Think of them as folders. Use a level, any number, to put your solid model on it, surfaces on another level, wire frame geo on the next level, dims on another level and so on. You could even take notes in class and put them on their own level. When you start importing CAD files into MC, they may already come with separate levels established. Read the help files on using the level manager for more detail.

HTH.

Ron, not correcting you here, your explanation was fine, you just type faster than me and beat me to it. Come to think of it, what the heck are we even doing here on Easter Sunday?