Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Horizontal 5 axis

ckwhite

Just bought a horizontal mill with a 5th axis. My reseller cannot get the post right. Or I don't understand how to set it up correctly.

Our other horizontal machines are set up using Top as the WCS and then rotate around the Y axis to create other planes.

He is telling me I cannot use this same logic on the 5th axis. I need to setup using FRONT view as my WCS. Is this correct? I have more questions but let me get this one answered first.

thanks

X4

He is using the Generic Fanuc 5 Axis Mill Post

Calm down!!!! In no way did I imply that he was not doing his job right. Did you not read my THIRD sentence? "Or I don't understand how to set it up correctly."

My only complaint is that he is too busy teaching class to help me understand. That is why I came here looking for an answer. Sorry to offend.

There they are deleted and I do not know you or your dealer. If I did or didn't I still say why bring them up at all if it is not about them?

quote:

My reseller cannot get the post right.

If you were calling my post making abilities into question and that paid my bills then sorry but I would take offense.

[ 04-12-2010, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Ron Branch V & M Precision ]

Look I am here to help and sorry but I call it like I see. Like I said I did the same thing as well so if you consider that good company or not it is what it is.

Do you have a sample file or something you can share? I would be glad to point you in the right direction. Can you give me examples of what the code is doing and what you are needing?

You can do it either way. If you want to use toolplanes over wcs the post should pick up the total C rotation. If you use WCS then the post calculates the rotations from that plane only, this method usually requires you also set an appropriate work offset values in machine.

Being on a horizontal does make the post logic different depending on how you want program it. (Mainly the fact that the Z axis is already perpendicular to the front plane.)

Ok just spoke with reseller. He says WCS should always be Top for 5 axis posts. But orient the part so that B0 and C0 is from the front view. This he says will allow you to use left side for the leftside of the part and right side view for the right side of the part. (This makes since) He is working on figuring out why the C axis is moving when it should be C0 B0.

Top is the way I'd do it. Then set your wcs as if you were looking at the part like you were behind the spindle. I had a guy tell me at a previous employer that you should imagine yourself looking at the spindle not from behind the spindle on a horizontal. Wrong! All their post were tailored to this too! Talk about bassackwards. Right hand rule always rules. HTH. smile.gif

I think this is the setting that you are after

code:

# Table/Table spindle axis alignment.  This sets the orientation of the base

# matrix based on the direction that the spindle retracts when it moves

# straight out. A typical VMC retracts straight up in Z+ of the world

# coordinate system. The setting for this type of machine is 3(Z+). The spindle

# of an HMC typically retracts to the back of the machine. This setting will be 2(Y+).

# A nutating table/table is always set to 3!

spind_align : 3 #1=(X+), 2=(Y+), 3=(Z+), -1=(X-), -2=(Y-), -3=(Z-)

#Machine base matrix (Base matrix to map positions into)

matb1$ : 1

matb2$ : 0

matb3$ : 0

matb4$ : 0

matb5$ : 1

matb6$ : 0

matb7$ : 0

matb8$ : 0

matb9$ : 1