Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2D Core Rough

jeff

Can someone help me to better understand this cycle?

What is the logic behind this..

Is it just to make the toolpath more efficient?

Or is it better used for small radial engagement with a faster feedrate with large depth cuts?

I like how it works, but I want to use it to it's full potential.

Thanks.

2D core rough was a big improvement over standard pocket routines to rough out cores. It always maintains climb cutting working its way from the outside in. the 3d transitions are to maintain smooth motion so "high speed" machines can maintain their high feedrates and not bounce across the floor, it is 2d high speed toolpath for a reason. But now that dynamic core mill is here in most situations you will be much happier with the generated toolpath, less retracts, more consistent tool engagement, etc...

quote:

i really don't understand the little 3D ramp in/out radius in core roughing , they only exist to make a larger G-code file that won't fit in our machine....

I run into this a lot.. older machine tools

just don't have enough memory to use these toolpaths.

We've been asking for an option to turn the

vertical ramp motion off, but nothing so far..

Turning the filter on will greatly reduce the size of these files, but that's still not enough for some of the older machines around here

Using similar stepover and filter settings dynamic core mill toolpath typically creates a drastically smaller nc file compared to a standard core mill toolpath. It can be has much as 1/10th the size depending on how many retracts the standard core mill toolpath had. As gcode mentioned we've all been waiting for a plunge option for entry's outside the stock.

HTH

What I am trying to figure out is the strategy for core mill.

Do I increase the SFM and feedrate and reduce the stepover?

If so, by what amount?

Figure 1/2" Varimill normally ran at 3820 RPM, 38 IPM at about 40-45% stepover.

That's what I usually run that tool at in 1018.