Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Spiral or Dynamic?

Newbeeee™

Hi All,

We got some mild steel (low carbon) billets to do.

7" dia with a shallow recess in (5" dia x 1/8" deep).

Rather than bore the recess on the lathe, I wondered about milling it out (as there are also some PCD holes in the same face).

So after having good results with peel milling and reading a bit about dynamic milling, I'm thinking of using either dynamic or spiral mill with a small stepover.

I'm leaning towards spiral but can anyone advise on tools/stepover/speeds and feeds please?

Cheers

quote:

When and where does a lathe or mill beat the other at pulling off cubes

In this case you can't beat the lathe.

The lathe can remove material faster than the mill can in MOST cases if programmed right.

I ran cnc lathes for 15 yrs before I made the switch to mills and there is no comparison.

I would use a 2-1/2" inc cutter and use contour ramp to full depth in 1 shot and then do the flat bottom. This means you have 2 cicles to do and 1 little linear move to remeve the material left by the corner radius of the cutter. You can then use an endmill afterwards if needed for the finishing.

JM2C,

"The lathe can remove material faster than the mill can in MOST cases if programmed right."

I know of shops that will build fixtures to face and bore almost any casting on a lathe, assuming that the quantity justifies it. I've seen some very odd shapes tooled up like this and it works great. Think about it: The part doesn't have to be round to spin, and you can often finish more geometry on a part with fewer tools in a much shorter amount of time than on the mill.

Newbeeee, post back and let us know how it went.