Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cutting to Solid Models

Sharath

Hi,

In my company we use pro-e part models directly in master cam. We want to come up with a solution where we use only 3D models for cutting and eliminate 2d drawings. To do the same we are struggling hard to find a solution to transfer data (tolerance information) from design team to tool room.

So far we worked on color coding (Color the surfaces in Pro-e where each color has its own tolerance specified)

1 Color coding

a. MaterCAM is not importing colors from part models

b. I can use IGES files but we have to spend more time in cleaning the data

c. I can user softwares like product view to view the part files and see the colors. But this option will be my last ersort.

Do you guys have any suggestions or is there any other solution we can look at so that we can avoid 2d drawings as much as we can.

Thanks,

Sharath

Sharath,

We use a color coding system as well, though we haven't yet got rid of prints. We probably never will, but at least they won't have to be fully dimensioned.

I'm very familiar with your problem. Until MC makes colored faces on solids an option, I have been doing what Leigh suggested. I import the solid with wireframe, then import again with only surfaces. The solid goes on one level and the surfaces on another.

Welcome to the forum! cheers.gif

Thad

quote:

We want to come up with a solution where we use only 3D models for cutting and eliminate 2d drawings.

Respectfully, Bad idea, just bad. I have been down that road when I worked for GM and I had to convince the IT people with ZERO floor experience how unpractical this is. I am all for electronic files and being able to view info on the floor from a terminal but sometimes a piece of paper in your hands is just not replaceable. Having to query the model for every detail is just foolish. With software like Solidworks and alike, creating detailed drawing is simple and the effort to minimize this task is resources that could be deployed to solve more pressing problems. The amount of mistakes that are bound to come from someone interpreting the model incorrectly is going to blow out of the water the time to create and manage detail drawings.

cuckoo.gif

The color coding seems counter productive to me, since now you have to look at the model, then look at a chart to see what tolerance that color is. I prefer to have an ACCURATE model, and a very limited, uncluttered print, that just has critical features dimensioned and toleranced.

quote:

The color coding seems counter productive to me, since now you have to look at the model, then look at a chart to see what tolerance that color is.

Joe,

It's pretty simple, for us, anyway. Orange is .XXX and yellow is .XX. That's sufficient for us to build dies. I can see where aircraft work would suck like that since the tolerances vary from feature to feature.

Thad

quote:

It's pretty simple, for us, anyway. Orange is .XXX and yellow is .XX. That's sufficient for us to build dies. I can see where aircraft work would suck like that since the tolerances vary from feature to feature.

So now you will need a color chart for:

GD&T (endless amounts of features)

Every tolerance that is not +/-

Also, when selecting tools you will need to select features from the model to determine sizes and corner rads rolleyes.gif

Blah, Blah, Blah....

Sorry for the haijack, just makes ZERO sense. No offense Thad.

Sharath,

At a previous employer we went down the same road as you. We tried the color coding (at the time I'd extract faces and color them on layers in MC - more geometry). The problem was many times the tolerance could not be defined well enough simply by face colors. Example: in most industries, the designer does not necessarily model the surfaces mid-tolerance (assembly fit checks) so that has to be additionally addressed.

On the design side they went to using GD&T within the cad system for their end of "paperless". We ended up installing some of those cad seats using floating licenses for the programmers to interrogate and or make in-work sketches as needed.

Now "Model Based Definition" part files are getting some traction from the major aerospace customers so at some point cam systems will need to address integrating importing GD&T as well.

--

Bill

I have to agree with Dave the time it takes to generate a 2D print with any of these Cad programs is not very time consuming ,and you don't have to be very detailed just throw in the critical to function dimentions and use the model for the rest

just my .02