Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

graphics card help on new laptop

Cjones

No matter what settings I choose in

system config -graphics support I get an unwanted effect.

It is either choppy or the redraw rate is so slow drawing a line turns into a nice line cluster. What am i missing? Any help would be much appreciated.

Hope everyone was safe on the 4th.

Here is my new laptop specs

Asus Notebook G73jh series

Intel i7 quad CPU Q 720 @ 1.6gHz

6gb ram

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 1gb video card

running driver version 8.683.0.0

windows 7 64 bit

I got it basically because it was geared toward gaming, so i figured mastercam would run well. Plus bestbuy is running an 18 month 0% APR credit card. It was hard to pass up!

TY,

Chris

I switched off the desktop composition and turned the graphics to GDI. Which makes it run fine now. What do I loose by using the GDI instead of the openGL really? It gave a dialog box about disabling art by using it, but everything else should be functional right?

thanks for the help guys.

I can't help ya with the GDI, WTF is that really, never seen it in any other modern CAD/CAM apps yet, but if your posting good g code and can see what your drawing, be happy.

ATI is a crap shoot. I've seen on board video systems work better than advanced system with ATI cards. It may work just fine disabling desktop composition and/or the front buffer. If this doesn't work, ultimately it's Mastercam's fault as this this has been an issue FOREVER considering half the world uses ATI cards. Stop using Mastercam or choose an alternative as this has always been a bunch of bull$h!t.

Brought to you by two glasses of Makers Mark and two glasses of Tremen's Delerium. 2 more to follow. (Ya, I may be wrong but so what, It's my B'day, gimme a break and don't even think about bustin' my ball$)

Great system. I got similar G51Jx-X1 but with nvidia gts360m and that thing smokes thru x4 and x5.

I'm really surprised you have a problem with that ati card as this is one of a top laptop cards at this moment but then again as it was said above, for some reason some ati cards do not play well with mc.

Make sure you have the correct driver for WIN 7 64 bit OS.

hth