Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Block speed?

k turk

We are in process for buying a new VMC and i am looking at some numbers that i need some help with. Where would a '600 block look ahead' fall when comparing it to an array of VMC machines? Is this an area in general that I should be concerned about?

i have the idea - perhaps incorrectly - that this is a bottleneck area which may effect surface quality. Most of what we do is surface machining and quality finish is important. Are there some machine specs that I should concentrate on in evaluating a machine's ability for surface machining?

Thanks for any insight.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

1) Block Processing Time (BPT) - The time it takes to process 1 block. Usually expressed as Milliseconds.

2) Look Ahead - The number of blocks ahead of the current block being executed that the control "sees".

Which are you taking about?

yeah . . . i thought i might be referencing two different things. as may be evident - i am out of familiar water.

Specifically, in comparing these two machines. I have a 2000 blocks per second (Milltronics) vs 600 block look ahead (Hurco) - which as i am reading things is an apples and oranges comparison.

IN GENERAL, i am wondering what type of numbers i should be looking for in a machine if most of my parts will be complex surfacing toolpaths . . . OR if this is even relevant to the issue of surface quality and / or program run times.

quote:

IN GENERAL, i am wondering what type of numbers i should be looking for in a machine if most of my parts will be complex surfacing toolpaths . . . OR if this is even relevant to the issue of surface quality and / or program run times.

Unfortunately, this is sort of black magic, and as far as I know, you won't find any "hard numbers" answer.

Just because it can read and process X amount of block per second, doesn't mean it can accurately or smoothly interpolate those blocks. Also, the CAM software setting will make a difference here. To further complicate things, some controls will react to different filter setting completely opposite to other controls.

I can verify Mayday's opinion that the Mazak Matrix (with Mazacc3D option) does an amazing job of accurate high speed smoothing and look ahead. Turn off the arc filter, set the tolerance to .00005, and let it fly.

thanks for the help. i liked mazak but they don't make a machine small enough to shoe horn in the space. the two we are considering made the primary list because of their size.

Although it has what is called a 'WinMax Control' the Hurco will almost post from the generic Fanuc post in mastercam (required a few lines of editing). Would that imply that there is a Fanuc Control in there with a different face?

quote:

Strictly a FANUC guy...

Yet you know that the 840Di blows Fanuc out of the water when it comes to processing speed....tho the Fanucs aren't that bad....

back on topic....wouldn't a Robodrill match your space requirements? I would put that machine up against a hurco/milltronics any day.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strictly a FANUC guy...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yet you know that the 840Di blows Fanuc out of the water when it comes to processing speed....

Yes. 840DI has I believe 5,000 block look ahead with spline interpolation as well.

Robodrill will indeed beat the tar out of Milltronics and Hurco but only on days that end with "y".