Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Sprockets

I have an opportunity to design and sell some rear sprockets for motocross dirtbikes. They would be after market parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, and KTM. This is a very good opportunity for me because I ride motocross. I was wondering where I can get information on sprocket dimensions and tolerances. Also most manufucturers make the rear sprockets from 7075 T6. I would also like to know why this is the material of choice and if there may be something better to manufacture them from. I'm very new to to this type of work and any imformation would be helpful.

Thanks

Yeah I played around with designing a few sprockets; I also ride off road. I didn't know there was a c hook in mastercam, but I'll check on that too.

I just googled some actually good info (can't remember the site) on the design and demensions of various pitches.

The best sprockets made IMHO are the ones made of 7075 "hub" with just the teeth being abrasive resistant steel.

Sounds like a Fun job smile.gif

7075 T6 is the most common material for a couple of reasons. It is lightweight, and while really this only makes any tangible difference to the top level of rider, weekend warriors like to think it makes a difference to them as well. The other reason is that marketing departments know that the words "aircraft aluminum" sell parts, and words like "solid steel" don't.

If I were buying a sprocket, my top choice would be the hybrid style with an aluminum spider, and steel teeth. This style will be much more expensive for you to develop though. My personal choice for sprockets is solid steel. Cheap, and they last forever.