Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Feedrate Intelligence?

Dave.L

One feature I am really looking for with all toolpaths is feedrate intelligence. Often with any geometry you have long straight moves followed by abrupt changes in direction or tight corners.

I am starting to use the Dynamic Toolpaths but I still see the need for automatic feedrate reduction. Later today / tomorrow I will be trying a suggestion from John Paris. That is, using "Adjust Feed On Arc Move" within "Tool Settings" -> Regenerating the OP -> Locking the OP -> then turning off that feature.

I have done this with a couple of contour OPS and one dynamic mill OP but have yet to cut the part. Manually using "Change at point" or "Toolpath editor" seems pretty exhausting.

It would seem however that there would be a better way to have this be automatic within the toolpath parameters.

Unfortunately, I don't use the option anymore. It worked awesome when speeding your feedrates while air cutting and referencing an .stl file using rest rough paths. Now, the slow air cutting looks embarrassing at the machine. mad.gif I'm actually hoping the HST Rest Roughing path gets improved so the tool will stay down, therefore not needing the highfeed option. I mentioned this to my reseller a year ago and they were optimistic that the rest roughing will be improved in X5.

The Highfeed option is a great option. I used in back in V9 and it cut several minutes off of programs. I would never rough with it but used it often to semi-finish or finish parts. Like Chris said once the setup is done it works great.

Start off slow then gradually up the feedrates. If your scared of it not retracting then wait till X5 comes out and try it then.

John,

I tried your suggestion and when I post with locked operations MC gets errors. If I un-lock, no problem.

This tool (Min Arc Feedrate) is not all that great but it would be better if the option was in each operation and not global.

I looked at the high feed option and I don't want to try this without experimentation first. Also, anyone that has some good examples of this it would be appreciated if you could share them.

From the help file, it states that MC will alter the depth of cut and I don't know how much I like this.

I've been playing with Highfeed recently and I can say that Higfeed does not adjust the Depth of Cut of the toolpath. It does need to know about the depth of cut of the toolpath, which initially is based on a % of the tool diameter (it doesn't take it from the toolpath parameters automatically).

Therefore you can adjust the depth of cut field to match your actual operation.

It's a shame it's still very C-hookish in that it locks your operation. CNC really should integrate this better into the toolpaths.