Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Would you plunge mill this slot?

McLaren

Good morning everyone. I have a .400" diameter 303ss shaft with a slot that runs through it .103" wide by 2.640" long. How would you make it?

Right now I am using a 3/32" endmill to rough it out at S8000, F8.0, DOC .033", but it's taking about 4 minutes.

I was thinking about plunge milling it but don't have any experience so I'm not sure if that would be the better way to go. Thank you in advance for any and all replies.

It is "Ramp" under contour type, with ramp motion being "Plunge".

And eliminating the drill doesn't affect the 4 minute cycle time to rough out the slot, neither does ramping at an angle.

Also keep in mind that ramping at an angle makes your depth of cut twice your ramp depth at each end, so I would have to double my cycle time to keep the load on the tool the same. Not really what I was looking to do.

Just throwing it out there, I did some slotting with 3/16 end mills, it sounds very similar to what you are looking for. If I can remember correctly I was going a bit more than .900 deep and the slot was almost 2" long. I ran 100's of the parts and the tool wear was nil. I think my ramp depth was .040 (yes .080 at each end I understand), do you have a lot of parts to do? is your tool change time negligable? Do the sides of the slot need a nice finish, I was holding +.004 -0, and it was not a problem. The finish wasn't the best, but it didnt need to be.

I would do it in 4 depth cut passes, using a stub flute 3/32 endmill. Take a look at Harvey Tool. Page 30 of their catalog has a .093 long reach/stub flute. I'm pretty sure you could go 1:1 depth to diameter ratio and be just fine. That would be 4 total depth passes.

I'd probably start at 8000 RPM, and 16 IPM. Should cut your roughing time down to a minute per slot. Even if you went 50% of tool diamter per depth pass, it would be about 2 minutes.