Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Configuring Logical Tool numbers

NSR

confused.gif I am trying modify the tools numbers from sequential numbering system to logical tool numbers (8digit) in Mastercam Tool file (.TL8 file). I saved this .txt file in the tools folder in Mastercam dirctory. When I tried to run mastercam, the 8 digit tool number doesn't show up in the "Define Tool Screen"

Can anybody help me on this issue?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

You mean like this???

toolno.jpg

Here's the operation

toolno_ops.jpg

and here the Operation Parameter Screen, all have the toolnumber.

toolno_ops_param.jpg

I just created a new tool with this tool number(12345678) and it worked.

V9 SP01

HTH

[ 09-08-2002, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

Yes, That does work to create an 8 digit # in your current library, but if you save it to a master library and recall that tool it dosen't retain the 8 digit #. We have been using the 8 digit system for years and it's the best way to program for multiple machine tools, but without retaining that # You have to edit each tool as you call them into your current library.... Any answers ???? We're trying to use V8 Mastercam.

In Ver 8 the first thing I do is go into the job set-up and check to see if the correct switches are in place. Like "tool offset register from tool","search tool libary when entering tool number", but do not check "assign to number seq"

Constuct Geo, go to tool path's create custom tool(with the eight digit number"), save it to your custom libary(I amde my tool number different from my offset and length number.Closed out my session, opened another file, went to my custom libary and it brought it in with the 8 digit number, I am running XP pro.

Matt,

The biggest advantage is not having to worry where the machine operator places the tools. When your programming by pocket number the right tool always has to be in that pocket. We have 8 machining centers and well over 800 tools and our jobs are turned over quickly, so there are a lot of change overs taking place. This allows the operators to put the tools anyplace in the chains that they have space. Our programs then call for that tool I.D.# no matter which pocket it is in. It works very well. And after using this numbering system we can tell what every tool is just by it's I.D.#.

I wouldn't say I am a fanuc snob, it just seems that is the most common control I have used. I did use a FADAL 88 (I believe that is correct), which in the short time I used it I found it to be easier than a FANUC, as far as tool and workpiece setting.

Anyways, I understand what you mean now. I have often thought I would be more efficient to have common tools already set, to a point where I could just pop them in the machine, insert the offset and away we go. But if I understand you correctly, your system allows you to map a pocket to a tool #.

Thank-you for the information!

The more recent Heidenhain controls have an even better system for tool mapping, if the operators choose to use it. Instead of choosing a tool number, you call a tool name, which would usually be sufficiently descriptive, such as "HM 6 mm ball mill". This only works on the most recent Heidenhain controls, though. Recent TNC 426 and 430 controls, and the iTNC 530 controls, AFAIR.

quote:

I did use a FADAL 88 (I believe that is correct), which in the short time I used it I found it to be easier than a FANUC, as far as tool and workpiece setting.

Matthew, you are so right! The Fadal control is the most powerful/user friendly control on the market. FANUC sucks. It takes at least 3 times as many steps to do anything on a FANUC control as it does on a Fadal. Every single person who came to our shop who *was* a diehard FANUC user, after using a Fadal control, didn't want anything to do with a FANUC any more. smile.gif

Thad

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I've used Fadal, Mazatrol, Acramatic and Fanuc controls extensively, and I still think Fanuc is the superior control. The Acramatic control has got to be the biggest piece of $#!+ I'ver ever seen anywhere at any time. I beieve deep inside it's a Semen control. Fadal was an easy control to learn, and I liked it but I still prefer Fanuc. Mazatrol, sorry but I despise ALL conversational controls. Just give me G-Code, none of that other crap. True many of the things that are options on Fanuc Controls are standard on others, but so what. Fanuc is the standard, and Fanuc should be the standard!

Out!

Thad:

One big thing that I just remembered (it has been 4 years since I ran the FADAL), was how easy it was to start a program anywhere you like. Even in the middle of a canned cycle.. something like AU,line#. I have yet to figure this out on my Fanuc OMD control. Any insights James?

quote:

True many of the things that are options on Fanuc Controls are standard on others, but so what.

Aw, come on James...I expected a better come back than that! smile.gif That's like saying that although Gibbs costs more than Mastercam and can do less, so what, I still like Gibbs.

Matt said...

quote:

One big thing that I just remembered (it has been 4 years since I ran the FADAL), was how easy it was to start a program anywhere you like. Even in the middle of a canned cycle

Not to mention the geometry/trig help, funtions, Learn command, the way it handles cutter comp in the XY plane, the ability to use cutter comp in the Z when changing planes (G18 or G19), or using cutter comp at all when changing planes! Just because someone has the market share, doesn't mean they are the best. Similarly, just because someone has been in the business for 30 years, doesn't mean they know what they are doing. I've worked with guys that were in the trade for 20+ years and still couldn't square a block! Oh well, I didn't mean to rant. It's just my opinion and we all know what they say about opinions. biggrin.gif

Thad

[ 09-19-2002, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: thad ]