Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam user survey

Yogesh K. Raman

Hi guys,

I've been a Mastercam user previously but recently I've appointed as a Mastercam trainer with my new employer.

Anyway, is there any resource that has information about what are the popular mistakes done by new user, bad practices done and implementation failure for Mastercam and its root causes anywhere on the web? Thanks in advance...

Hi yogesh welcome to forum and congrates for new jop.

I don't remember anybook specifying such information. But usually it is deleting solid geometrie, retract off and keep tooldown in 2d toolpath, deleting associative surface and deleting blanked associated entities are there.

Apart from that I would recommend to browse through some of forum's technical threads. You know here all discuss about that onlyl.

One of the biggest things I see is the student do is creates duplicate entities when they use the Xform function.

#2 Is trimming 2-d geomerty, what to keep and what to trim away.(specialy if there are duplicate entities)It don't work see !!

#3 Regen dirty tool path operations after geomerty has been Modified.(it did not change see !!)

#4 Save and Save often(that should be #1 really)

#5 Can not find file(I know I saved it!)

where is it at?

I could go on

• 4 months later...

In the class I am currently taking, when machining wireframes, people frequently forget to turn off all other levels except the one the wiredrame is on. When this is not done, everything gets screwed up when creating toolpaths.

Also, not naming levels as they are using them, with meaningful names, and not making a text note on each operation, for ease of editing mistakes.

Mainly, Save it all, Save it all, Save it frequently. Gonna make a bunch of edits, or try something out? Save it under a naw name, so you don't screw up what you are pleased with. Quick to add a character to the original: "happy-with-this.mc9" like "happy with this2.mc9"

Quick, easy, and limits possibility of a hard won accomplishment being damaged with a mis-click.

I speak from experience, example: lost associations realized AFTER a save file can finish a class session with less than a "warm and fuzzy feeling" as you walk to the car!

[ 03-29-2005, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: MCam Newbie ]

AHHH, dirty geometry comes in many many forms and causes the biggest problems I think.

It comes along with

1. Xforming things too many times( as Reece points out),

2. Creating the same thing more than once because they don't know what to expect when performing a function so they do it over and over!

3. Bad Breaking and Trimming operations, due to not knowing what the heck they are doing. for example BREAK-MANY PIECES-SEGMENT LENGTH=.010"

These are some of the bad habits that you should

try to break immediately!

Robert Winters

Programmer/Instructor/Snowboarder

• 4 weeks later...

Bad geometry it the one that always gets me. Instead of one line of G-Code for an arc, I end up with 300-400, all in little 0.1mm steps. In the end its back to the CAD software to fix it.

Double - triple check geometry before toolpathing. And save, save, save. Just something about crashing software that scares me.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

I am doing my MS in New Product Design.

I need help to prepare an article on the various CAM packages available in the market like MasterCAM, UG cam, Catia, DellCAM etc, about their advantages and disadvantages based on Features available, functionality, economical.

If you people have any information or any links where I could find such info, please mail me at [email protected].

This would be a great help. Waiting for responce,

Regards, Gopinath