Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What Editor?

Mick

Out of curiosity, what editor is everyone using out there? Everywhere I've worked, we've used Easytalk, but with the advent of Windows 9x/NT/2K/XP etc and the use of long filenames, its become somewhat outdated?

So what has everyone started using out there, and what success have they had with it? I'm curious smile.gif

Mick & Ryeker,

To overcome the obvious shortcomings (eight.three) of DOS and the older programs; I always create folders such as 1999, 2000, Etc! - Within the folders I title customer names Etc!

Ultra Edit is really good; other utility programs will also allow comments to appear next to the file name – the only thing about these older programs is the TSR annoyance and the progression of today’s operating systems.

Don't forget to check Tucows (sp)for such handy utiliies.

As always, backup up everything & write to a CDR; your memory will eventually cloud and in the event of the disastrous requirement of a new hard drive - you will have an excellent structure to follow towards recovery. I learned this the hard way many times over.

Cimco, Predator, Etc! Are really great - but old habits do indeed die hard with me. I am very comfortable with Easytalk and will not likely change my habits until forced to do so by Microsoft.

By the way, the first program I used for machine tool transfer was Procomm 2.4.2, then eventually Procomm Plus - Wow, that's taking me back to the 300 baud days of old; so long in fact I cannot even recall the version of DOS that I was using.

Regards, Jack

The free version of the Cimco Editor has some nice features such as color coding, line renumbering, and a pretty good file compare, but you are working with strctly text. Metacut Utilities has a very graphic editor where you can pick movements on the backplot and it will bring you to the line of code, if you change the code the backplot updates. Very cool stuff that I need to spend more time with.

good luck