Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Programming Work Wanted

Ryton

As the owner of this machining facility, I would like to pose a question to all of you. I have 20 years experience in the fields of production machining and injection mold making and in the last 10 years I have been using CNC's and CNC software to assist me in manufacturing and have come to really enjoy programming. I am considering scaling down my shop operations and would like to start freelance programming using Mastercam. Do you know of someone that is looking for a programmer? I would like to work out of my home office doing contract programming and I would we willing to travel. I own my own copy of Mastercam V7.2c and can write my own posts. All work can be emailed to and from the client. If you know of someone looking for a programmer, please email me at [email protected] or I can be reached at my office at 208.777.9745. Thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by Ryton (edited 12-16-2000).]

I don't have access to a team of lawyers to review license agreement, but CNC Software has a contract guy listed somewhere on their site, so I'm guessing it's an acceptable practice.

I don't think you can really track the output from Mastercam, it's just an ASCII file after all. Prove to me that Mastercam created a given NC file 1 second after Mastercam creates it.

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 12-16-2000).]

From The EULA

CNC Software, Inc. ("CNC") a Connecticut corporation with its principal place

of business at 671 Old Post Rd., Tolland, Connecticut, 06084 hereby grants to

you a non-exclusive, non-transferable license (the "License") to use this

software program (the "Program") and any accompanying documentation (the

"Documentation") solely for your internal business purposes and solely in

conjunction with the accompanying "Security Mechanism", which shall mean any

hardware or software device, method, scheme or other security measure provided

by CNC to allow a user to access the Program (The Program, which includes

updates, if any, and the Documentation are hereinafter referred to collectively

as the "Software".)

If you are refering to " solely for your internal business purposes and solely in

conjunction with the accompanying "Security Mechanism" " I do not believe that the intention is to forbid contract programming. However the programmer would be bound by the

U.S. Government Restricted Rights

"The Software (including the Documentation) is provided with RESTRICTED

RIGHTS. Use, duplication or disclosure by the Government is subject to

restrictions as set forth in the Rights in Technical Data and Computer Software

clause of 48 CFR 252.227-7013 or subparagraph ©(1) and (2) of the Commercial

Computer Software-Restricted Rights clause at 48 CFR 52.227-19, as amended, or

any successor regulations thereto."

So no programming parts for Cuba, Iraq or any other country the US feels is naughty this week. rolleyes.gif

Then the term "Solely for your Internal Business purposes and solely in

conjunction with the accompanying "Security Mechanism", most concerns me.

If the company owns the software "Employer"

An the complany programmer "Employee" uses that software to freelance on the side with or with out there knowledge. Then i would like to know what CNC Softwares legal position on this situation.

Im very concerned about this.

Kenny

They`ll have you making little rocks outa

big rocks in the state pen....hehe,who knows

it seems like this could open up a whole can

of worms,look at it from there side once,if

lets say everyone gets on the programming on

the side bandwagon it seems to me like they

could lose sales,if people start doin it on

the side it will prolly become bigger and

bigger then potential sales customers might

say "why should i buy the software when Joe

Schmoe or 100 other guys will cut each others

throats for some money doin it on the side"

so now ya got one guy workin for one company

with a legal seat doin work for say 10 other

companies who see this as an opportunity to

save thousands of dollars by not ever having

to buy a single seat of software,not to

mention how would that go over with the guy

who spent 15 grand on a system for his shop

and now some others are gettin away without

even havin a system and he aint gettin a dime

out of it

Solely for your Internal Business purposes

sounds like the key here to keeping this from

being a potential problem for the licensed

owner,if you owned you own seat and your

business was programming for others then i

guess that would be your Internal Business

and protect you from others using it on the

side outside the workplace for profit,but

im not a lawyer,better give Johnny Cochran

a call

[This message has been edited by d0gFartz (edited 12-16-2000).]

[This message has been edited by d0gFartz (edited 12-16-2000).]

AS I see it CNC software has nothing to lose from sub contract work, in my experience as a sub contractor, the vast majority of my customers simply dont have the demand for Multi surfacing work to justify buying a full Mill 3 seat, but come the time when they do, they have seen a good couple of years worth of demonstrations of what a competent programmer can do with MasterCAM, and invariably MasterCAM is their first choice, what they sometimes do lose out on is in ongoing technical support contracts, since those who do eventually buy MasterCAM prefer comming to me with their questions (charged at hourly rate) as its more often as not me who knows their buisness and applications better than their retailer, and as often as not its my post processors that they end up using.

Ive been doing sub contract work for nearly 15 years now, with a wide range of packages, and Ive never had any trouble with software developers complaining about lack of buisness, indeed, through my indirect efforts I would estimate that Ive been instrumental in the sale of 20-30 seats of software, in some cases I even get a percentage of the sale.

If the legal department dont like the way I do buisness then I will be forced to stop using MasterCAM and migrate my activities to a package that is tolerant of my buisness plan, however, I can guarantee that in the long run they will lose potential sales from my current and future customer base, companies who are still in the process of developing their buisnesses to a stage where they can justify the cost of a full CAD/CAM package.

I freelanced home with my employeer's cad/cam software (not MC) for 5 years. After

a while the cad/cam package I was using was no longer adaquate and I bought a copy of MC

for myself. My employeer never objected to my

moonlighting because some of my customers brought work to his shop. He also got a better programmer because I was gaining experience doing other work for other shops.