Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Problem with multiuser system

roy g. biv

We have v9sp1 running on win2k sp3 with 2 different users. Both of us are using the same *.cfg and *.exe for mill and lathe.

When I log on everything is fine, but, when the other user logs on we have a few issues.

-Neither mill or lathe will post succesfully regardless of *.pst or *.MC9 file. Each *.pst file gives different errors.

-all file locations i.e. *.MC9, *.NC , tool libaries, are in completely different locations (defaults)

then when I log on everything is fine again.

What gives? And yes, this is a brand new installation on a brand new box.

TIA for any ideas, suggestions, queries, or insults.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Good Morning Roy,

My Suggestion is first delete/rename the old config file with Mastercam closed, then each of you to create your own config files then save them (for example save yours as roycfg.cfg). You log in, make a copy of the MC icons (i.e. Mill, Lathe) you plan to use on the desk top. Then right click on the Mill Icon for example and go to properties. On the target make it say this "C:Mcam9Mill9.exe roycfg.cfg" making sure you have a space between the Mill9.exe and the roycfg.cfg. Then repeat this step with the other programs. Then have your other guy log in and do the same. All should go well after that.

BTW this will ONLY work with V9 and above.

HTH

Thanks alot James that's exactly what I needed. I knew there had to be a way to make the exectuable use a certain config.

I can even keep the *.cfgs on our server so I can use my config from any of our machines by using

Target:

C:Mcam9Mill9.exe ServerDirDirpaul-lathe9.cfg

If you're ever here in Dallas/Ft.Worth I need to buy you a beer!

cheers.gifcheers.gif

[ 01-03-2003, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: roy g. biv ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I'm glad that worked. I know of some people that keep the cfg file on the server as well and it's part of their login script so no matter where they are they use their config.

Glad to be of assistance.

quote:

I can even keep the *.cfgs on our server so I can use my config from any of our machines by using

Target:

C:Mcam9Mill9.exe ServerDirDirpaul-lathe9.cfg

Some other options that won't require seperate icons for each user:

target:

c:mcam9mill9.exe z:mill9.cfg

where the z: drive is the users home directory on the server and mapped at log-in. Each user will, if they don't already have one, have a mill9.cfg file generated using the defaults the first time they log on.

target:

c:mcam9mill9.exe %HOME%mill9.cfg

if you are on Windows 2000/XP Pro and have home directories defined.

target:

c:mcam9mill9.exe serverdir%USERNAME%.cfg

if you are on Windows NT/2000/XP Pro and want all the .CFG files in the same place.

This way you only need to change the icons once, and can change them in 'All Users' start menu rather than futzing with them in the individual profile directories.

• 3 years later...

James,

I know this is an old post but does this work for X different. to start a config file from my M drive on the network. I have over 20 computers in my classroom and when I sit at one I would like my config file to start up like it does in 9 where ever I sit. I can't seem to get this to work the way it did for v9.

Thanks

Steve

quote:

Somebody mentioned run it from the login script any help with this

would be great

It's actually the MC shortcut properties that get edited, not the login. It looks like Rick Damiani summed it up pretty good. I'm not sure if it works like that in MCX, but I know of a good way to find out. wink.gif Otherwise, having seperate icons on the desktop has worked for us...all except for the loading of the .mtb file, but that's being worked on.

Thad

Thad,

I tried this in X and I get an error when opening config that it is looking for my confing on the C: drive where mastercam is the config file listed in startup is default metric but it looks as though it reading my config from my drive. I keep getting the same message about the config file not found in the C: drive I'm using this style here for my desktop short cut c:mcamxmcamx.exe M:sla.config

People claim here to keep everything on the network, although config files aren't specifically mentioned.

I ran across a thread that mentioned using the login to launch a config file. Maybe that's what you were referring to earlier? If so, my mistake.

Thad