Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multiple monitors

Chris Rizzo

I run a dual monitor setup at home, but I'm stuck with a single monitor at work.

Using the newest NVIDIA drivers, you can force

different applications to open on the monitor of your choice. I'll have MC on one monitor and my text editor or Predator VCNC on the other.

I haven't had any trouble with it at all.

I have two monitors setup on my system. The first is off a 3dlabs Oxygen VX1 card (AGP), the second an ATI 16mb card(PCI). I do not have to disable anything, however I do not run mastercam on the second display. I use the second display only for pulling up drawings of the part (.tif, .dwg using intellicad) or to display my jobs lists or email, or to open up the folder where I am putting all the files. This allows me to open up any file relative to the job without having to switch between mastercam and an explorer window.

Video is fine.

The only trouble I've noticed is with the mouse.

The mouse looks at both monitors as one BIG desktop and you need a high quality mouse for

CAD stuff. A cheap mouse will drift and jerk on dual monitors. Also, you wrist and fingers work harder cause you are moving the mouse twice as much.

Funny thing this subject came up, I just hooked up my second moniter today, it is a big help but when I maximize what ever program I have open it spans it across both moniters, my MIS guy says I should be able to set it up to where I can maximize to just one moniter, but he wasn't much help on how to do it. Any ideas?

Jay,

I'm running ver 6.13.10.4109 from the NVIDIA website. I've been running dual monitors for nearly 2 years and have always been able to do that. You enable Desktop utilities from the Screen Settings application.

After you open Mastercam, right click its box

on the taskbar and set the monitor you want it to be on. Click postion memeory and it will always open on that monitor

Mark

I find that if I drag my window partly onto the second monitor and then maximize it will maximize across both monitors, but if I drag my window so it is only on one monitor and then maximize, it will maximize to just that monitor.

There are two places you might plug in the second monitor.

1. The second monitor port on your graphics card, if there is a second monitor port there.

2. The monitor port of a second graphics card. Unless you have two AGP slots on your motherboard, the second graphics card will have to be in a PCI slot, so check which slot type you need to plug it into, before you buy a second graphics card.