Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

facetted tollpaths

Bruce McPherson

First of all I am running version 7.2, with hopes of upgrading to 9.My problem is, when I try to toolpath using surface contour I get a facetted path around the arcs.I've tried changing parameters and the different gap and edge settings.Sometimes it does work but never the same twice.I am using iges models from SDRC brought out with using bspline flavour.If anybody has any ideas please help.If version 9 fixes this that would really push my upgrade,Thanks

Ive never used 7.x but I do know that if your geometry is a spline, MC will make small x y moves instead of arcs. Creating the faceted look.

I dont know if filtering is available in 7.2, but if it is, that will correct your problem.

Greg

quote:

but I do know that if your geometry is a spline, MC will make small x y moves instead of arcs.

Bingo!!!

The filtering , I think, may worsen the problem by making the lines longer. Can you check the output settings on the cad system where the Iguess file came from? That may be the source of your troubles

Hope this helps

Jim

Bruce,

Filtering should help as long as you know how to set it up properly. The disadvantage with V7 is that it doesn't have nearly the amount of control with Filter as V9 or even V8 has. The Filter button is on at the bottom of the same page as the Clearance, Feed Height, TOS values. I usually set my Filter tolerance to an amount that's twice as large as the Cut tolerance and try to look ahead by as many entities as possible (typically around 1000 in V7). The IGES file appears to be OK. I've made a couple of toolpaths with the use of Filter for your IGES file and downloaded it to the FTP (Bruce_Facet_SFA.MC7). Unfortunately in V7 you have to "Redo" the toolpath to even see any of the parameters, let alone make any changes. In V9 you can review the parameters and make changes to minor things without even the need to regenerate the toolpaths. Changing a tool dia. or stepover distance will require a regen but it's faster than selecting "Redo" and trying to remember what it is you wanted to change. HTH biggrin.gif

I brought in the new mc7 file from the ftp and was able to look at the toolpath.I wasn't able to change the look ahead to 1000.It will only let me change between 3 and 100.Is there in a setting in the config that I'm not seeing.I changed the tollerances like Peter said and the facets got worse.Also was Scott talking about changing the surface tolerance in the filter or in the config?

Thanks for all your help guys.

Bruce,

quote:

There going to upgrade me to version 9 within the next week.

That's great news. I want to caution you that the Filter in V7 was rather new and didn't work quite the way it should. Don't automatically assume that if a function didn't work right in a previous version that it will work the same way in V9. What I said before about making the Filter tolerance about twice the cut tolerance works for a majority of toolpaths in V9 but there are other ratios to use if you want to experiment. The Filter settings are also in a different location in V9. They are found in the "Total tolerance..." button on the third tab of most surface toolpaths. Enjoy your V9 as I'm sure you will find it much more efficient and easier to work with. If just for the full toolpath associativity alone. No More REDO. biggrin.gif

[ 01-10-2003, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: Peter Scott ]