Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Most common 4th axis technique

Chuckles the Clown

We program around center line and have the table/vice/fixture modeled exactly where it is at on the machine. Just define t-planes around the axis of rotation. This works quite well till someone stuffs it and you have to get everything back where it was. I think this has been covered before, but it will be interesting to see the feed back.

Jeremiah

I find it best to go to the Top Cplane, and then select Cplane, Rotate, Y-UP, and input the index angle. I then Name that plane the same as the degrees of rotation, ex: 30.

I repeat this process to define all the angles of rotation before I program anything.

Then when programming, I select the rotation angle (by name). I also put a note in the comments field, ex: 30 DEGREES.

That makes it easy when I post to see the note (30 DEGREES) and on the next line or so read out the angle (A30.0) so I make sure everything is right.

Sounds a little labor intensive, but it really is not, and it's very reliable.

Consider saving an .mc9 file with all the common angle rotations pre-defined (0, 30, 45, 60, 90 ...). Import the Views from Job Setup so you don't have to do what I described above every time.

Sounds like you and I do it the same Charles.

Depends on if I am positioning then doing 3 axis milling or full 4 Axis.

Depends how the operator wants to do it.

If he wants to mess with finding fixture offsets or he lets Mastercam do it and adjust it small amounts.(Model the set-up in Mastercam)

If you find the center of rotation and feed the software good numbers,it comes out right.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Forgive my ignorance James, I also set WCS for every work offset, but my B axis command gets taken care at the post. Would you explain about how you deal with the A/B?

Thanks

No need to feel ignorant. I believe Charles stated it as clearly as I ever could so check out his posting.

Charles,

I do the same,the only problem is that after i finish all the ops,i have to go every op one by one to the t/c plane and unmark the "working coordinate system" box.

If i will not unmark it,the post will not output the rotation (B).

what's annoying is that i can't select all,edit common parmeters,and uncheck this box to everything.it doesn't work.i have to do it one by one!

I also recommend that if you have a lot of planes to work on,write a number on the planes and when you save the name in the wcs,write the number too,and you'll not have to remember the angles.

Thank you guys, I'll give it a try and check how it works with our post because as it is set right now I construct and work from the front view and that was the method I used. I'll give it a try from the top, this is exactly what I enjoy so much from this board, you learn something new every day. smile.gifsmile.gif

Thank you, F. Javier