Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 AXIS POST PROBLEM

Todd Wertz

Howdy All! I have a post problem. The problem is with 5 axis cuts. When I use my post I get a message asking me what my pivot length is. I then enter a value and continue. The value I enter is how far my cnc will cut off on z. For example if I enter a value of 4” it will cut 4” above my part. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Grand

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

The value I enter is how far my cnc will cut off on z.

I am of the opinion that the Pivot Distance should be the distance from the gageline of the spindle to the pivot point. (A fixed and known distance)

Your post could be asking for the gage length of the tool depending on how your post was set up.

JM2C

[ 02-06-2003, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

The post we are using asks us only for the 'gauge length'. I beleive that in order for the post to compute for the actual Machine coordinates. It needs to have the tool gage length and the pivot length.

Our posts outputs the value of both pivot length and the gauge length of each tool in the NC file and from my own understanding, the pivot lenght is constant to a machine. The gage length is different for each tool that you use. The pivot length is the distance between the pivot points of the machine point of contact of the machine tool and the tool holder.

Just FYI. cant advise you other than consult your local dealer.

What type of 5-axis machine do you have? The pivot distance is necessary to calculate XYZ output for 5-axis routers, such as a Thermwood, where the two rotary axes are part of the machine's head. On these machines, the tool rotates in two directions; the part stays fixed. Therefore, the XYZ values have to adjust accordingly to put the tool tip in the correct location.

If you have a machine which rotates the part instead of the tool, you may not be concerned with pivot distance.

Good luck. Hope everything works out well for you.

Dave

• 13 years later...