Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

previous smartcam users

cherokeechief79

quote:

The WCS / USC system was far superior in Samrtcam than the current Mastercam scenario. In my opinion, Mastercam need to dump the CPlane, TPlane stuff and just have UCS's that are defined by origin and rotation. Period.

Agreed!

Lots of interesting info, Kathy.

'Rekd

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

James – btw – Layers (Levels) were basic functionality in early UG. Along with groups (and nested, named groups), construction lines, WCS / UCS and so on.

Well before Autocad.

Ahhhh. Thanks for the history lesson. My history with CAD/CAM only goes back to 91/92.

Thanks Kathy.

quote:

Bottom line is this question – what was the biggest factor that finally led to your decision to purchase Mastercam over the other contenders?

Hello Jack it was nice of you to remember.

The two biggest factors that helped me decide on purchasing MasterCam are the support network and the market share that CNC enjoys with MasterCam. You helped too Jack, you went out of your way to help answer some of the questions I originally had. Thanks again for you help.

When I was demoing packages I saw a lot of things that if they really work they would be awesome. External model associativity and feature recognition in some packages look like they are far ahead of where MasterCam is currently. Some of them did compare themselves to MasterCam, that is a compliment paid to MasterCam. But when I was lurking on some of the forums I sometimes could hear the deafening noise of crickets chirping when some questions were ask. Hello, Hello, No response, No work arounds, No suggestions, Poor xxxx. On EMasterCam forum if by some small chance there is no answer or work around you will at least get a quick response. If nothing more than someone saying sorry I feel you pain you can’t do it. That means allot knowing you are not alone, it is time to try a different method, the one you were working on isn’t going to work.

There is safety in numbers; I don’t ever want to go thru another CAM transition unless it is my choosing. When I feel that there is a better product and it would financially benefit me to change, that’s when I will change. To many times a good product is dumped because is bought out by a larger inferior product.

quote:

The WCS / USC system was far superior in Samrtcam than the current Mastercam scenario. In my opinion, Mastercam need to dump the CPlane, TPlane stuff and just have UCS's that are defined by origin and rotation. Period.

This is the biggest limitation that I currently find with MasterCam.

quote:

All said and done, am I sorry we bought Mastercam when SDRC killed Smartcam? No – there are some very good things about Mastercam. But unless Mastercam starts addressing their functionality issues I can’t say what the future holds.

I agree with Kathy.

We are all customers, we are always right, we should drive development, we want to guarantee that we will always have the best CAM package available.

Complacency, in time will destroy any software package.

John

Joe6Pack,

quote:

I can pick individual x,y, or z; or a single point that represents all three. Simply put, I draw a feature where I want it, I don't have to create a point or construction line to reference from.

The same is true in Mastercam. With geometry creation there is a Point Entry menu which allows for picking any selectable point on existing geometry. Users can input coordinates whenever they wish when creating geometry, just by typing the numbers on the keyboard. The Relative function is one feature that Mastercam had which Smartcam didn't. It allows for finding points at incremental distances from known points, even if the user doesn't know what the distance is, it can be found. Learning a new system can be tough if you are doing it yourself. There is no substitute for proper training from a reseller. Training from experienced CAM/CNC tool programmers is beneficial as well. Fortunately, Mastercam's reseller/support network includes both.

quote:

I can drill a hole with smartcam and have no construction geometry at all, one element, (a hole), these other pkgs require me to create geometry first

Mastercam doesn't require you to create geometry for a drill operation. I've created many drill operations using a bolt hole pattern, grid pattern or just by clicking on random points on the screen with my mouse. It often seems as if Mastercam requires geometry for toolpaths because of the associativity, but it isn't true of all toolpaths in Mastercam. In surface toolpaths it will allow you to machine a part file that resides in a completely separate folder location from Mcam. cool.gif

Kathy,

quote:

The ability to pick an X,Y or Z value in Smartcam always returned what you wanted - unlike Mastercam where you have to go through several dialog box prompts, and than you still get bombed out.

Right-click in any "value" field of any dialog box in Mcam to open the Data Entry Shortcuts. These DES allow for the selection of any coordinate point from existing geometry or find distances between 2 points, length of entities, angles between entiites, daimeter or radius or arcs, to supply for the unknown value. Using these DES can be an invaluable tool in finding info without leaving the initial operation. HTH cheers.gif

[ 03-12-2003, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Peter Scott ]

I learned on one of the old DOS versions of SmartCAM (I have no idea what version), and graduated to another version at the shop I'm at now. It took me about two weeks to want to change software. The major concern, which you mentioned was that it's more or less obsolete, i.e no support, no upgrades. All in all, in my opinion you definately want to keep up with industry standards, one of them being software.

Anyhow's I chose to switch to MasterCAM ultimately because I know so many other MC users which makes for great conversation and learning opportunities. But to be honest, I think the other competitors that I looked in to are right up there with MC. It's similar to comparing a Fadal to a Haas (Quality of course not the point of comparison), both serve it's purpose, but one may have features that you personally prefer over the other.

In my opinion, I'd go with MasterCAM, if you're in to programming, learning the basics will be challenging, but once it starts to gel, you'll love it! But definately look into what people you know are using, friendly advice is always a plus. This forum alone has been great benefit, as well as the distributor the purchase was made thru, the contacts made by both, and the friends I know that use it!

Good luck. I'd like to see another post once you decide on a product.

I have delayed my response to this thread deliberately so that I could observe the candor.

My roots are also with Smartcam ver7 Dos; it would seem that there is a cult following for Smartcam – those who reluctantly stray from Smartcam do indeed find solace within Mastercam; Kathy’s response really hit home for me with functionality - John’s response most likely parallels my own.

I can appreciate the reluctance to learn another cam package and the core needs to stick with what you are comfortable with – I am a Mastercam junkie as of late; I will however admit that I still use the simple engraving from Smartcam since it is so damn easy to use.

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

I have delayed my response to this thread deliberately so that I could observe the candor.

What????? biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

You're not afraid we're gonna light you up or anythign are you? biggrin.gifwink.gifwink.gif

Awwww Jack'O has feelings, isn't that spesheshul?????? wink.gifwink.gif

ROFL!!!!