Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Hard Turning

dan m

I was wondering if anyone had advice on hard turning. It is somewhat new to us. The main materials are H-13 52-54 r/c and M2 60-62 r/c. We are getting through it but not very efficiently. If anyone has some suggestions on Feeds, Speeds, Inserts, and Grades I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

The first consideration is to leave .006 on diameters and .003 on the faces; hopefully you are the person predetermining these allowances.

This is assuming a workpiece size up to 1.5" with a .0002 tolerance.

The absolute most critical consideration is consistency of the parts before heat treat -.0003 ~ .001 variances will turn a common practice into a nightmare. mad.gif

There are a lot of guys that have experience on the forum – my knowledge is too dusty to contribute much more, turning insert technology has also changed but I believe most productive hard turning is done with boron nitride – Sumitomo are regrindable and worth considering, I just do not know if the other supplier’s products can be reground. Huge dollars for the right inserts, hence huge savings are realized if you can get two or three regrinds. smile.gif

Chime in guy’s this is a very interesting subject.

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

[ 03-18-2003, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Jack Mitchell ]

Dan,

We Hard turn all kinds of tool steels almost

daily, You need a very rigid setup,

We have good luck with sumitomo borzon tip

inserts BN250, 600-800 sfm, .008 ipr roughing

800-1000 sfm, .002-.004 ipr finish.

doc from .04 rough, .005finish

you cant tell a turned part from a ground one

but the run time is a major improvment.

Hope this helps.

When we turn 65-68 RC hard chromed shafts we use Sandvik CNGN120412T0120 inserts. They work great for us. We went through alot of different inserts until we found these, and they definitely last the longest. I will get you the feeds and speeds we use if you need them.