Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

RS232 through Cimco Edit on a Dyna Myte mill

ANDERS

I can’t get this to work; I must be doing something wrong. I have a computer with only Cicmo edit on it with a small program that I have made from Mastercam (A licensed copy through BCIT) and posted it with the correct post in to cimco edit. I have configured the DNS settings in Cimco edit so I can use the DNS transfer program in there:

Baud rate 2400

Stop bits 1

Data bits 8

Has anyone done this before on a Dyna Myte 2800 or 2400 (They have the same control) I would like to write programs in Mastercam, post them and than transfer them across the RS232 into the machine.So far I can do everything but get them across to the machine. I think that I have everything configured correctly but it’s still not working. I have the cable configuration correct or so I think, I got the original configuration from Dyna, I have tested for signal and it’s definitely sending signal to the machine but the machine controller is not responding.

Any ideas?

I don’t know much about these Dyna Myte mills however, any help would be much appreciated.

What are my options here? I know that there is a AHHA retrofit, but I would prefer to solve this without having to purchase the retrofit because it works in dos and I would like to keep running windows xp and I already have Mastercam. Are there any other retrofits out there for my machine?

Thanks for the help, it’s much appreciated.

Anders

quote:

I can do everything but get them across to the machine. I think that I have everything configured correctly but it’s still not working.

Are you getting an alarm @ the machine?

Also do you know for sure that your control

parameter is set up for 2400?

And as Chris stated,have you ever sent via. rs232?

These may sound like wiseass questions; but they're not:

Does the machine have an RS232 board in it?

Does it work?

We had a lightning strike 2 summers ago outside the building that cooked the RS232 in 2 of my machines; they would send but not receive, if we hadn't been communicating with them regularly before we wouldn't have known what the heck was going on.

Can you write a small program in the control and try to send it to your PC? Even if you just get junk, at least you'll know the punch feature is working and the cabling is correct, then you'll just need to get the settings right.

C

[ 04-01-2003, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: chris m ]

Chris is correct about first working on punching data from the control. Punch first, read second.

Note 1: Even though the control has an RS232 port on it it may not be connected. I am guessing that you purchased the control with the assumption that the RS232 board/option was present. Just to be sure, ask the mfg if that is/was the case.

Note 2: It is possible that the RS232 board is or was never working correctly. Like Chris mentioned, try to punch any data out of the control. If you have a breakout box or LED mini-tester see if any of the signals change. (TX on CNC Port side / RX on PC side). If you are sure your cable is pinned out correctly and you do not see any changes in the signals it could be the COM port on your PC.

Let us know how your tests progress...

Ok here's what I tried last night. I hooked up the rs232 tester and ran the rs232 cable in and out. Than I wrote a program on the mill and tried to send it across. Making sure that Cimco Edit was in receiving mode. The control on the mill came up with an error " ECHO NOT REC" but yes it did send something across one bit that was “O” I think that there may be a problem with either my cable configuration or my internal settings in cimco edit. However there was signal coming across the cable from the mill. The problem is I don’t think that any one has done this before with a Dyna Myte, if so I would love to talk with them.

Anyway, just though that I would give everyone an update on the progress.

Nothing yet but getting closer.

Thanks for the help this far, much appreciated

Anders

• 10 years later...

I know this thread is 10 years old, but I am desperate. I have a similar Dyna Myte 2200 and I cannot get the RS-232 communication to work. I am trying to "upload" using a laptop, serial cable, and Dynacom software. I get the same message as Anders "ECHO NOT REC". Settings are 2400 8, 1, None on COM1. I do, however, get a ASCII character 022 (Synchronous Idle) right before I get the "ECHO NOT REC". Trying to "download" with a proven program also results in nothing.

On a similar Dyna Myte 2400 with the same computer/software, I can upload/download with absolutely NO problems.

Any help or advice will be awesome,

Thanks in advance

I have suspected a bad board, but the fact its sending the same character consistently makes me think otherwise. It looks like it is wanting a reply to the the "Synchronous Idle", but I don't know what to reply with. Tried several cable configurations and I am using the one recommended by the manufacture. If I have to go the tech route, can you recommend any Tech's since not many service this dinosaur. I'm located in San Diego.

I have hooked up one of those machines about 20 years ago with Karlo Apro.

Here are some notes:

dyna9.jpg Dyna Mechtronics 2200 – 4400

To send a "Proven" program to the computer

1. Select Line Mode and specify the starting sequence number.

2. Press the SHIFT, READ/WRITE keys.

3. Select YES to the RS-232 COM message.

4. Select YES to the Upload message.

5. Select NO to the Line Execute message.

6. Select YES to the start immediately to the Program Execute message.

7. Send CNC file to Control

NOTE: The Dyna Mechtronics control can send or receive CNC programs up to 900 lines in length. In addition the Dyna Mechtronics can DNC a CNC program with an unlimited number of lines.

DNC Commands

1. Select Line Mode and specify the starting sequence number.

2. Press the SHIFT, READ/WRITE keys.

3. Select YES to the RS-232 COM message.

4. Select YES to the Upload message.

5. Select YES to the Line Execute message.

6. Select YES to the start immediately to the Program Execute message.

7. Send CNC file to Control

NOTE: DNC mode on the Dyna Mechtronics does not support subroutines, looping and block skip commands.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Glenn for the info. The machine uses about 50% of those steps, but the general idea is the same. I have tried both "Upload" and "Download" (with proven programs) with no success. I don't think I can get it to work like I'm hoping.

Moving forward, does anybody know someone in or near the southern California area that can upgrade this dinosaur to run Mach 3 with new electronics and servo motors. Ready to pay and need it done ASAP. The thing is solid, but is becoming useless without RS-232 communication.

Thanks in advanced