Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T help and being helped

David S

Help and being helped is why we are here.

Many times, I tried to help technically, were too late. Many of our members are great professional helpers in MasterCam. They are quick and perfect. Only I can do is to post this O/T making some of them angry. wink.gif

Seems like some times we have some invisible helping rules here:

1. Asking post processor without calling your dealer first, will not get help here and will get butt kicked.

2. Saying any little thing bad about MasterCam, will not get helped and will get butt kicked.

3. Asking help without nice polite English, will not get helped and will get butt kicked.

The first one is understandable. I am really confused by the second and third one. confused.gif

Is MasterCam a perfect cam? I believe people who, asking help here must did some problem solving themselves. They blame on the software and their PC is normal. Why can’t we guiding them teach them and correct them? If they knew a lot of MasterCam and knew it was their own error, they did not have to post it here and get their butt kicked. redface.gif

This forum is for MasterCam users of whole World. Therefore, some users do not speak good English. They might have different culture background and they might in a really bad mood at the moment they post... One thing is for sure: they need help. Of course, our help is free and on our own time, should we help, ignore or act like Marine (first in fight)? mad.gif

Last night we went to NYC watching a show. Exit Subway, a big man reached out a cup stopped me: “Hey man, got a quarter?” I walked away. A few block, an old woman said: “Please”. I gave her money. This is not a good example. However, my point is if you do not want to help, please don’t attack, don’t give them a hard time and do not take things personal. cool.gif

I am a Libra, like things to be fair. Please remember the GOLDEN RULE.

Someone in this forum might not like my point of view. It is OK. I might be wrong. I will not defense myself.

cheers.gif

quote:

Seems like some times we have some invisible helping rules here:

1. Asking post processor without calling your dealer first, will not get help here and will get butt kicked.

2. Saying any little thing bad about MasterCam, will not get helped and will get butt kicked.

3. Asking help without nice polite English, will not get helped and will get butt kicked.

My two cents on this:

1) If you come in here on Day One with your hand out you deserve to get ripped for it. I have spent over a year cruising and posting on this forum to learn, to help, and to develop relationships (some electronic, some more personal) with helpful people who can assist me if I have problems with Mastercam or machining and machine tools in general. I did not come in saying "Does anyone have a post for a Haas?" and niether should anybody else; this is really the only taboo subject here and I fail to grasp why anyone gets pissed about that.

2) I don't really have any feelings on this, however this is a Mastercam forum and is supported by a large (the largest?) Mastercam reseller so I can understand why discussions of other systems are discouraged. I have seen rational discussions of other software but I have also seen real flame wars; it all depends on the mood of the day and how you phrase your opinions.

3) The only people I give a hard time about language are people that I KNOW are native English speakers; I think that most of the other guys are the same way. If I have ever said something insulting to a non-English speaking person I am sorry as this was not my intention. Regardless of your cultural background you must realize that there are a lot of very self-confident (egotistical is probably more truthful) people on this forum, myself included, who do not like to be condescended to or treated in a manner that we consider disrespectful; I don't care what kind of day you are having or where you are from, if you talk to me like I'm an a--hole you are going to get both barrels from me as a response. Sorry, nature of the beast.

Semper Fi

C

[ 04-16-2003, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: chris m ]

Hi David,, Great post!

I believe I understand you.

I agree with your basic "help and be helped" philosophy,

and I try to do the same thing,,

but of course I do it the ""The Hardway""

The rules are not invisible, they are written Forum FAQ's

They work like the traffic lights,,,,,, so we don't run into each other.

1. Asking for post processor on your first post will get you laughed at.

2. Saying any little thing bad about MasterCam,,Will get butt kicked

(Dave I love this one we should put this as a forum FAQ)

3. Demanding help without being descriptive, or whining instead of

forming a question will get butt kicked.(is not about a persons English)

MasterCam is man made, it is not perfect.

This forum is for all(registered) MasterCam users of whole World.

I found your example to be just fine

Last night The big man was not helped ,but not attacked.

I am Sagittarius,I like to be a loose canon.

GOLDEN RULE.

" The man who has the gold makes the rules" biggrin.gif (just kidding , I know the real golden rule)

If someone in this forum doesn't like my point of view.

"" Sorry,,it's the only one I have--Mine""

cheers.gif

Desclaimer::::My post is not a slam,I just think the forum is just a great place for everyone.

[ 04-16-2003, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]

David,

This is truly the place to be helpful and to get help. smile.gif

Of course Chris is a little miffed about how you have handled yourself in the past - others might be surley disturbed as well. Hey, we are not saints in here nor do we expect saintly attitudes - just try to be respectful towards others in the future please.

I am also a Libra and weigh the constant argument as many on this forum might agree, perhaps I am unbalanced. biggrin.gif

You and all members are so very cherished - this is a very hot public forum that seems to grow by leaps and bounds every week.

Forgive and forget is an excellent policy. Be nice and every single person on this forum will bend over backwards to help in any way that we can - it's in our nature, more specifically it's in Chris's nature as well.

cheers.gif

Let's try to bury the axe and continue to help others.

Regards, Jack

quote:

This is a mystery to me. But even a simple criticism gets slammed sometimes. I give a good effort to research and try to figure out what is going on before I post. We are CNC’s customers we demand the best the same goes for our customers. There is always a better faster easier way to do something.

Heres one.

quote:

04-06-2001 01:48 PM

Is there a way of deleting ALL points when re-selecting geometry from ops manager? I often use the same drilling cycles and have to remove points and add new ones. Unfortunately, when I've got 96+ holes already selected, I have to un-select them ONE....AT....A....TIME!!!!

Here is my question, I want to understand why. I ran into this same situation today, programming plates that I want to delete all the points. Why isn’t there a point manager to be able sort, delete, edit like the chain manager under chain geometry. It would make a lot of sense to keep a constant process thru out the program. The original post is over two years old and it still works the same way one click at a time?

I ask once before, I will ask again what is the proper channel for enhancement requests. Thru my VAR or is there any method of direct communication with CNC?

I know everyone is as busy as I am and I appreciate your helpful responses.

Thanks

John

David:

1. I read the forum looking for the pearls of wisdom and to find questions that I can give answers to. I get tired of this question and the people that ask it. Give me a post. Sometimes I am in a bad mood when I read it. We are all humans here.

2. I make my living using and teaching Mastercam. You can bad mouth it but be careful what you say. It is kind of like family. I can tell you my brother is stupid, but you can’t tell me he is stupid.

3. I have no problem with bad English. Heck I’m still trying to learn it myself.

quote:

Here is my question, I want to understand why. I ran into this same situation today, programming plates that I want to delete all the points. Why isn’t there a point manager to be able sort, delete, edit like the chain manager under chain geometry. It would make a lot of sense to keep a constant process thru out the program. The original post is over two years old and it still works the same way one click at a time

This has been covered several times. rolleyes.gif

There is a sorting manager.

You can delete points as fast as you can move your mouse around the screen. (You can also delete the geometry if you don't need it, then re-gen the operation and it will prompt you for points)

Points are different than "chained" geometry, thus requiring a different user interface.

'Rekd teh "Gonna leave the rest of the topic alone for a while.."

Hi David,

I have participated in a few other forums and

have found it to be outstanding here. wink.gif

I dont care where you go in life,it is all in how

a person comes across.

Yes there are people here who may come across in

the wrong way,(and may not really mean to do harm)but IMO they have earned their keep.They have been participating here for a long time and you cant take that away from them.

What I think a person needs to do to "combat" this sort of thing is to keep participating,don't get discoraged,and keep posting questions here!

Someone will always answer you.

When I first joined,I felt a little out of place because I knew there were plenty of "regulars" here,(that were very smart)but I knew if I kept participating,eventually I would feel more at home here.

Now I can't get enough. cool.gif

For all that may feel like what David has posted,I say to keep on posting! cheers.gif

I've had nothing but positive responses and suggestions from the users and gurus on the forum smile.gif . Whenever I have the time, I love to poke my head in here to see if there is a topic that I can either learn something from or contribute positively to. Like most people, I feel good about being able to help others where I can.

I am awed by the fact that people respond to questions from all over the world -- technical and OT.

Thanks 2 All.

[ 04-17-2003, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: n_tydingco ]

Let's see,

1. If you just signed up for the forum, and it's your first post, and you ask for a post processor more than likely you're a pirate. Your dealer should be helping you out with your post processing needs. If he isn't then I'm sure a many person here could recomend a better dealer. If you done all that and still need help the forum is where you need to be. There are a lot of knowelgble people here.

2. Saying Mastercam sucks and not giving a reason surely will get you flamed. Providing examples of what you thinks is a problem or limitation will generate constructive conversation and get you help.

3. Uh, yeah. Everybody is here because they want to not because they are being paid. Being rude will get you nowhere.

Do I think Mastercam is perfect? Hell no. And I've said so on many an occasion. Do I think it allows me to get my job done in a timely maner? Hell yes.

And to prove I bitch biggrin.gif about Mastercam, J Coulston has pointed what is becoming my personal pet peeve. mad.gif The inability to remove all drill points or to individually move one point in the sort order.

J Coulston,

First tell your VAR. He's one point of contact Mastercam has with it customers. Second send a feature request to [email protected]. Maybe if they get enough requests they will finally realize the amount of people wanting this feature.

Until they do...

Way to remove points:

1)James pointed out in another thread by holding down both the right and left mouse button you can delete as fast as you can move the mouse.

2)Create a blank drill op. It will have no points. Replace the geometry for the drills with points with this dummy operation's geometry.

3)I provide some chooks I've written over the years at Bryan's chooks

One of the chooks will delete all drill points for an op. I currently have packages for 8.1.1 and 9.0. The 9 package should work for 9.1. I'm still waiting for my 9.1 cd and the updated chook developement kit.

Bryan smile.gif