Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Gloria II 64 Video Card

"There's No Place Like Home..."

HEY! I'm Still Here!!! @$%

Ok, we got rid of the NVidia Riva TNT2 64 Pro video card, and got an ELSA Gloria II 64 instead. (Rember, I'm running a Pentium class 725 Mhz on Win2k with 256 Ram). When I put the cursor over the grafix window in mastercam, it's smooth, dynamically rotates beautifully, does geometry rotation like you'd expect; but when I move the cursor over the toolbar, menubar, statusbar or title bar, it slows WAYY down, is jumpy, and I can't click anything until it slows to a stop.

I've created a new AppSet in the Gloria II Properties tab of screen properties, and enabled Double Buffer under Pixel format. That's how I get the grafix window to perform well. But I lose the mouse as described above. When I disable Double Buffer, the mouse is fine, but if I try to dynamically rotate, it's jumpy, and forget about translating/rotating even the simplest geometry!!! (My old P90 could keep up with it)

Is there a setting anybody's got that will work with MC and this (supposibly awsome) video card?

Thanks,

Rekd

Sorry FukNRekd, I wish I could be of some help to you. I have my own video card problems too. Lately I've been doing a lot of "hard core" 3D solid stuff in Mastercam and Solid Works. Both programs have crashed on me several times. Its not the CPU freezing up, its the graphics getting all screwed up and fuzzy (or disappearing altogether), which leaves me to suspect the video card I have can't cut it.

I know there's been a lot of debate over this issue in this forum before. But mainly people have talked about relativley older cards like Matrox millenium G400 or older Nvidia cards. I've narrowed it down to four video cards that I'm considering upgrading to:

- Elsa GLoria III 64MB DDR RAM

- Matrox Millennium G450

- 3D Labs Oxygen GVX1 Pro

- Nvidia Quadro 2 Pro

I just wanted to know if anyone has much good/bad experience using these newer model cards (like FukNRekd is having with his card).

Using MC V8 Level 1 + Solid Works 2000 on PII 400MHz, 64Mb RAM running Win NT4.0 SP5.

Thanks smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Chip Maker (edited 01-30-2001).]

Hi,

try the follow:

disable all OpenGL functions in the Elsa toolbox setup. Disable all graphic card hardware setup functions.

Disable the OpenGL support in Mastercam under screen, config.

If done, change the color resulution in Windows. Use the 16bit color setting.

start Mastercam and try it.

This is the min. support for the graphic. If you get trouble in this modus, there is a driver problem.

Tell whats happend when all is disabled.

regards

Andreas

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

The Matrox G-450 is pretty nice in NT.

The 3D Labs Oxygen GVX1 Pro is just OK. When you've gopt unshaded surfaces they are rainbow looking. (I personally would not reccommend it)

I have no personal experience with the others that you mentioned.

James Meyette

I tried disabling OpenGL support like you said, and then some, still no luck. There were no errors or abnormalities, just slow as heck. Looks like I may be going back to the old P.O.S. card...

frown.gif

Rekd

[This message has been edited by FukNRekd (edited 01-30-2001).]

i am a using an ecceleclipse 16meg card by

ACCELGRAPHICS

I WORK WITH LARGE 3D FILES EVEREYDAY AND I DONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ANYTHING

I AM RUNNING MASTERCAM V8 ON NT4 WITH 500M RAM P3 800MHZ

IT TOOK ALONG TIME TO GET THE RIGHT CARD TRYED THE FOLLOWING BEFORE:

ATI RADEON 64M

ATI RAGE FURY 32M

MATROX G 400 32M

ELSA GLORIA II

I am currently running a W2k pro box with 512 megs RDRAM 1ghz processor and a Elsa Gloria II Pro card 64 mb. I dont have any of the problems you have with the menu slow down problem. I also have all the Open GL options running in mastercam. If there is any other setting I could check for you to compare let me know.

Greg

Greg,

If you could check the settings in the AppSet tab on the Display Properties/Settings/Advanced of the system. There are Application settings there for specific apps. Which app are you set on, (did you create your own?) and when you click on Advanced, what's enabled/disabled there?

I wonder if the mouse drivers have anything to do with it...

Thanks for your help!

Rekd

Rekd, now that you mention the mouse…

I had a somewhat similar problem in Version 7. The mouse would jump across the screen. It was only a problem when I changed my mouse pointer’s scheme to "3D-white". When I went back to scheme "none" it worked fine. I should point out that I had a different card.

Diamond Fire GL 1000 Pro (3d labs Permedia2 chip) 8megs

Win NT 4.0 SP5

PII 350

I dont have an option for setting per app. This is an out of box Dell. Running spec drivers from Nvidia. So I think our driver setups are different. I did notice I am running on DirectX 7.0, kinda makes me fear installing 8.0.

Driver

Nv4_disp.dll version 5.002195.0390

Bios version 7.02.00

Chip type Quadro

As far as Display/Properties/Advanced goes nothing there really, just screen refresh rates and color control.

Greg