Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X5 Config - Start/Exit C-plane not sticking

RTcat

I sent it off to my reseller and this is the response I got: "I am seeing exactly the same as you. If you pick any of the lathe construction planes it will ignore them and revert to top. All the mill planes will stick. I tested it on Windows 7 and Xp and it does the same thing. I sent it up to QC as a bug."

Thanks to Chad at CadCam Technologies in Indiana. Those guys are great there, always quick to help.

Yes that works San Diego when you know what type of machine you're going to run that particular part in. I set my default startup product to Design and then when the decision is made as to which type of machine or machines the part will be ran in, I select my machine. The work around for now is a template file. Because if I don't I'm sure to draw a part with an X dimension of 1" versus a diameter of 1". This worked in X4, hopefully it will be fixed soon and included in the next MU.

sorry, but i am not seeing this being as difficult as your making it out to be. granted, there is a bug with the default setting.

now from what i gather, from this statement - "I set my default startup product to Design and then when the decision is made as to which type of machine or machines the part will be ran in, I select my machine.", you start up mastercam without a machine def loaded, pick your machine and then draw/import your part. granted, i am a pretty simple guy, but if you set the default planes per machine - select the machine you want to use - construct your part - would not the plane be in the correct orientation for you?

if you start up in design mode, which is a blank template, if you will, why would you want to use the default setting of D+Z-? for instance, if you construct your part, said machine is already running and you have to program part for another machine anyway, planes will be changing per machine right?

not coming down on you, just trying to under stand the thought process in case i am missing out on something that could speed my world up. just seems easier for me to load a machine with pre-defined planes and THEN import/construct my part is the best solution, especially since you start up in design anyway.

It's not difficult at all and I am not trying to make it a big deal. I posted a problem and wanted to see if anyone else was having the same issue. Sent it off to my reseller for a confirmation that it could possibly be a bug and they sent it off to the QC department.

The part is usually drawn before a decision is made as to which machine it is going to be ran in. It's quite possible the part might be drawn days before it is programmed. Sometimes our twin turret/spindle machines are overloaded therefore we might have to run in a single turret machine with two different set ups.

By the way I tried setting my default startup product to lathe, and set my default machine to one of our commonly used machines and still no luck with the D+Z+ sticking. And yes I have went into the MD and set the Default C-plane in the General Machine Parameters. Unless there is somewhere else this needs to be set??

If I choose default startup product as design then select the machine before drawing geometry it does bring in the correct default c-plane.

Either way you look at it my Mastercam is broke. Something that worked in a previous version now has been affected. Not bashing, I know things happen. I'm sure it will be looked into and fixed. For the mean time I have found my workaround.

Thanks for your concern San Diego.

I us

e three icons on my desktop for lathe mill and our miil/turn. I put the config file under the icon startup properties so each icon starts with a different machine loaded, all icons loaded, and construction planes. Now it seems like it won't load the right cplane like it used to. Some people may enjoy loafkng everything manually, but I don't.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I was doing some lathe work with a recently updated late machine def and the +D+Z construction plane was not loading.

I went into the machine def and set it to +D+Z and saved it.

This morning I imported a Solidworks X_B file into X5 design which is set to TOP CP

Then I loaded my lathe machine deg and the CP changed to +D+Z.

For me at least, this is working as designed.