Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Deleting tools in a custom tool library?

neurosis

I have a tool library that is specific to our Horizontal mill. I imported the tool library in to X5 when I installed. We are changing a tool in the library to a better tool but I cannot seem to delete the current tool from the library. Ive tried to highlight to tool and press delete and I tried the right click/delete method. It does absolutely nothing.

Any suggestions? is this a bug? has it been logged?

These tool libraries seem very buggy for some reason.

• 1 month later...

Hello Neurosis,

Did you every find a way to correct this issue? I have had problems with X5 tool libraries from the beginning. Sometimes you can't delete a tool(todays problem), can't write tools etc. I just tried to compress the offending library and it now appears to be corrupted as all of the tools disappeared.

When I first went to X5, the major problem was trying to add tools to a library. I then converted this library to a *.tooldb and it has worked for the time being.

I am trying to gain info so that I can submit a report to QC.

edit: I usually build a new library from text to correct issues like this.

Thanks

This has got to be some kind of Windows permissions issue

All my tool libraies are on our network server and have been

since X2. When a new release comes out, I make a new folder

and update the old rev into the new folder.

I haven't had any trouble creating or deleting tools

in new or old custom libraies.

This leads me to conclude that the problem has something to do

with the libraries residing in User folders

Neuro, I had a library that was working great and also became corrupted. I updated the X4 to X5 library again and it was fine. All I lost were the few tools I added in during those few weeks after the X5 installation. I now backup my tool libraries every week. SUCKS!!!

I tried a new approach this time ( sort of the same as your saying here ). I actually exported the library as text from X4 this time and started a new tool library in X5. I imported the text in to the new library. Same as you, I have to re-create any tools that I have added or changed which should only take me about an hour all said and done. Its just a pain in the xxxx to have to deal with this at all let alone over and over. Its not a big deal (unless your the one paying my wage) its just frustrating.

I sent my corrupted files to CNC and am now getting my local VAR involved. I want to make sure that if there is a problem that it gets fixed. I also want to make certain that it is not just me being a dip xxxx and doing something improperly.

Neurosis,

I have all the same issues as you all are mentioning. The only way for me to get usability, is to use the *.tooldb format. It takes just a few minutes to convert to *.tooldb.

I sent my corrupted files to CNC

It would be a good idea to send a link of this thread to them.

I will also report it later.

Mike

I had originally converted it to a tooldb file and that was the file that became corrupted. So far I have not had luck with "ANY" of the formats. The only files that seem to keep are the original un-edited X5 tool databases.

The files seem to become corrupted when I add or edit tools in the file.

I linked this thread when I emailed my VAR. He told me that he wasnt aware this issue or some of the others that I mentioned to him in the email. I am hoping that he takes the time to look through this.

I very rarely ever contact our VAR. When I do they are usually "very" good about helping me with solutions to my problems.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same problem as Neurosis.

I had originally converted it to a tooldb file and that was the file that became corrupted. So far I have not had luck with "ANY" of the formats. The only files that seem to keep are the original un-edited X5 tool databases.

The files seem to become corrupted when I add or edit tools in the file.

I just sent QC the tooldb library that I boasted about above "it was working" as it does not work anymore. It will not hold data in the data fields of Bull, Flat and Ball ems for XY step, finish amount etc.

I am stumped.