Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dynamic Tool paths

Dave.L

Well,

I programmed a fixture with 32 pretty small pockets and I used dynamic to rough them out....I gotta say, I KNOW without the dynamic motion I would have broken a tool in the first few pockets.

1/4 dia endmill, .287 deep, helix entry, A36 steel...cut like butter.

These paths make total sense - side mill cutting the whole way. Simple concept applied very well. B)

The only down side is no finish pass and the program size was pretty big - I needed to break it up to fit in my control.

:cough: DNC

These paths will save you enough time to easily justify the cost

John, you disappoint me, I think that reply took 1-2 minutes when I expected 1-2 seconds... :p

Actually, I was pretty suprised about the control not taking it. I am looking into the file size capabilities now..

Dave, are you using the arc filter. I have not used that path,but when I use arcs the files

are smaller in size

Rick, I did not. Maybe it would help (someone care to comment on this?)

But remember, the path is basically taking thin side mill cuts the whole way thru so I think no matter what the code is gonna be long. It even takes a while to post..

Dave, post out the NCI for the toolpath and then run the filter-nci c-hook. That will create arcs and shrink the toolpath as much as 90%. Then use the import nci toolpath to bring the filtered nci back in to your program and ghost the original toolpath.

Hi Doug,

Sounds like a cool solution....but I gotta ask, why would this not be the case from the start or is there so settings (as Rick suggested) to better this?

I don't know what is different about how the Filter nci chook vs toolpath filtering work but I do know that you can set the same tolerance in either and the filter nci chook will shrink the toolpath size way more. I normally use a tolerance setting of half of my stock to remain. IE if i leave .05 stock on walls I set the filter tolerance in the chook to .025.

I normally use a tolerance setting of half of my stock to remain. IE if i leave .05 stock on walls I set the filter tolerance in the chook to .025

Yes turn filter on 2:1 and tol. half of stock to leave. Reduce file size massively. Backplot with your points on and you'll see all the eliminated and unecessary moves for a roughing op. Also make sure your max/min arc size is set to what the machine will take.

It's real easy to miss it because filter is off by default.

don't forget to chk the dynamic mill database! ;)

Two things Dave:

#1- Turn the arc filter on 2:1, and it will make your program 1/10th the size.

#2- If it's still not small enough, run that baby from the hard drive on your Fusion control. If you've got your Nexus machines networked, you can just drag the program to the HDD operation folder on the hard drive. Just make sure you're using [program number].EIA as the file name, and that there are no % signs at the beginning or end of the program. You can run the HDD programs from tape mode, or just create a main program, and call the HDD program as a sub with a normal M98P[program number].

Two things Dave:

#1- Turn the arc filter on 2:1, and it will make your program 1/10th the size.

#2- If it's still not small enough, run that baby from the hard drive on your Fusion control. If you've got your Nexus machines networked, you can just drag the program to the HDD operation folder on the hard drive. Just make sure you're using [program number].EIA as the file name, and that there are no % signs at the beginning or end of the program. You can run the HDD programs from tape mode, or just create a main program, and call the HDD program as a sub with a normal M98P[program number].

Yeah, Joe I should have known to ask you since your the Mazak king ;)

OK, so help me understand the filter stuff...I did review the help file a while back but I have really never needed it yet (that I knew of anyway). Won't the filter eliminate some of the arc and thus reduce the effect of the toolpath?

Apparently not or you guys wound not suggest it but something must give right?

the arc filter produces arcs instead of hundreds of tiny splines that are coded where 1 or 2 arc codes would

replace. I use DNC and still use the arc filtes on all the 3-d paths so the code does flood the buffer and cause

the machine to studder and not cut what appears to be an arc but it is coded with splines.

I think I worded that right.....on my 7th beer.... :)

Here do this: Go into your backplot color settings and change ccw and cw arc moves to orange. Leave lines blue. Take an unfiltered toolpath and backplot. Lots of blue line segs. Now turn filter on regen and replot. You'll see a whole lot of nice big orange arcs with the filter on. Also turn your endpoints on in backplot to see the quantity of moves. Increase filter and watch arc segments get combined into bigger single moves.

Take care when arc fitting dynamic motion using the filter. Please use very tight filter tolerances as to not alter the dynamic motion too much from its original trajectory. I have seen some users send example files in damaging tools with arc filter tolerances set to something like .05in ! They say they go that loose to create more arcs, not a good idea as you will allow the dynamic path to stray by as much as .05 when filtered, yikes! Stay reasonable on an inch part like .0001 to .0005 or something like that.

Take care when arc fitting dynamic motion using the filter. Please use very tight filter tolerances as to not alter the dynamic motion too much from its original trajectory. I have seen some users send example files in damaging tools with arc filter tolerances set to something like .05in ! They say they go that loose to create more arcs, not a good idea as you will allow the dynamic path to stray by as much as .05 when filtered, yikes! Stay reasonable on an inch part like .0001 to .0005 or something like that.

Dave, I kinda thought something had to give - thanks for the feedback and guys, thanks again for the tips.

Very correct. I use filtering on lots of surfaces to create arcs and "smallerize" the program size. I believe the purpose of it on some odd shaped surfaces is to do the opposite, created limitless tiny splines and points for more accurate surfacing. Usually, my surfaces are not freeform surfaces. Filtering OUT the small moves to create more arcs gets rid of many of the splines and helps me to get files that will fit in my little HAAS.

Your Dynamic path may contain many splines, depending on the shape of the pocket. Filtering, for example, could take 100 small splines and fit them into 1 arc move and still have the correct geometry without gouging into a wall.