Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Unable to extract (at least) one solid face

TeccBoxx

Been messing with this for the past three days and I am nearly bald from it. I have a model created in Solidworks 2007 that I have tried exporting to mastercam using the following extensions (.sldprt, x_t, step, and sat) I have also tried re-drawing to the entire model. Every time I go to toolpath the part using rough parallel or even finish parallel I get the Unable to Extract One Solid Face.

I have also tried re-importing a completly different .x_t model that I have recently used which worked fine in the past but now I am getting the same error. I ran a solid anylyze in both mastercam and solidworks with no problems in any of my models.

I am using X4 and I know I have done something but what I have no clue so I am hoping someone might have some insight to this problem.

Bring it into X4 as a solid, use the create surface from solid command, then watch which face it reports as bad. You may or may need to rebuild the single surface and use the surface model to machine to instead.

hth

once you get the solid converted to surfaces in mastercam, be sure to do a small surface check. i allow MC to change all the surface to a different color when prompted. next, delete all entities this color.

only after properly doing this will MC calculate the toolpaths. assuming you go back and select the surfaces instead of the original solid.

there are other posts on this subject...

• 7 years later...

Turn your "Solid" Model, into a "Surface" model. (Create Surfaces from Solid).

This process will allow you to have a "separate surface" for each face of the Solid.

Then, you can use the "Analyze > Small Surfaces" Command to "mark" all of the small surfaces with a different color. Then, select all of that "color", and move to a different level, or delete those surfaces.

This  problem can be divided into two solutions.

1. there are times , when I'll get this message  when doing roughing.As my tolerance is set to 0.15 mm , in a few cases raising the tolerance to 0.015 will get me thru' without having to creating surfaces from solid.

2. if raising the  tolerance won't help then you have to convert the solid to surfaces and then continue machining using surfaces.

Gracjan

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Re TeccBoxx's issue, I had a similar problem with a step file. I'm using X7. I converted the solid to surfaces and the problem surfaces were moved to a junk level, the model had a bad vertice and an small overlap. I deleted the original solid and the bad geometry leaving only the extracted surfaces. I then reversed the process by creating a solid from the remaining surfaces. I did get multiple  solids, the main body I wanted and the 2 bad solids resulting from bad vertice and overlap. I deleted these leaving just the body I wanted.