Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T venier

skeetboy25

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I would suggest using the LOWEST Power Setting posible, use the smallest diameter beam you can get out of it and don't hang around any single area of the part for too long.

HTH

quote:

Ok, so I know it's not exatly kosher machining

This is new terminology for me - please elaborate.

It's not that I am attacking you, it's more to do with what does kosher mean?

Elad?

I am uninformed about this terminology, I don't believe this statement was said correctly so I cannot comprehend.

I am merely asking a question here and nothing more.

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

[ 04-27-2003, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: Jack Mitchell ]

quote:

Ok, so I know it's not exatly kosher machining, but how would I best cut .05 hardwood venier on a 25watt laser plotter with out it catching on fire?

For cutting on a laser engraver you need to do the folowing:

- Rase the material up off of the cutting table to allow airfolw on both sides of the part and keep the table from cooling the bottom of the material, preventing a good cut. Or use a cutting table. Raising the material will help you to tell when the cut makes it through, as the cut-away portion will fall out the bottom.

- Run the speed very slow - on our ULS C class (which is also 25W) you are looking at no more than ~2 or 3% speed. You might need to slow to 1% or less to get it all the way through in a single pass though.

- Run the power at max (100%).

- Make sure the blower is running before starting the cut.

- Don't let the laser run unattended. While the risk of fire is much lower when the blower is running, cutting can start a blaze. Let it run unaattended and your first indicator will be the sprinkler system lighting off. Not good.

quote:

Kosher is the same as "KiddieWahmpuss

Tony,

I am serious about this question - you have merely added more difficulty.

Now what in the heck does KiddieWahmpuss mean? smile.gif

Jack "teh dummy" Mitchell - damn, now I'm saying this stuff! biggrin.gif

[ 04-28-2003, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: Jack Mitchell ]

quote:

What if you seal a thin layer of Aluminum foil on each side of the .050,in an attempt to cut down the amount of oxigen to retard the flame?

Unpainted AL foil is reflective. The reflected laser light can damage the windows in the enclosure and has the potentional to damage or destroy the laser tube. New or reconditioned tubes are very expensive, as are laser-safe windows.

Kosher: meaning not "really" machining, not a man's* machining, no loud noises, rapidly moving spindels, and above all no g-code. This machine is direct plot, no actual thinking or skill goes into it's opperation. However, I can throw some lines up in MC and have my cheap stuff etched and/or cut through in 5 min with this, so I back slide from the kosher and use it [laser] when I get a case of the lazies.

As allways I am amazed by the speed of replies on this and will try your advice come monday. I would like to thank you all for contributing toward my solution.

*with appologies to Kathy biggrin.gif

you are 100% correct, Jack, in the law [torrah] god gives instuctions on how to cook, how not to cook, what not to cook together, et cettera. This is called Kosher. However, in this case i am using the slang definition of any thing in the norm or orthodox, as an example, we usualy get topics about weird tool paths and impossible operations and the latest little glitch in MC. wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Not kosher refers to this looser sniffling about how he should use his laser to better cut cheap venier for cheap furniture! wink.gif

out of curiosity, who's elad? confused.gif

Jack

It goes like this:

"Before you Put the Water lines in

Make sure everything is KiddieWahmpuss"

Elder ToolMakers Used Kiddiewahpuss.

Its supposed to be American Indian for

"All is Good" (O.K. They were probally

Pulling my leg on that one) confused.gif

I should have asked Which Tribe..