Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X5 Crashes Repeatedly

EX-wccprogrammer

To All the X5 Gurus out there,

I am trying to engrave the centerline of a true-type font. In the simple task of creating 'span' lines to hang c/l geometry on, X5 crashes. Is this a known bug? Or do I have some kind of conflict going on that I need to hunt down? I have attached a pdf with a screen capture if interested. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

wtf.pdf

Is it by chance a windows 7 OS? If it is right click on the Icon and then go to properties. Then look for compatibility mode. At the bottom is a run as administrator check box. This is not the same as the right click run as administrator. Then restart Mastercam and see if that fixes your problem. Little thing about windows 7. Even if you are the admin you are not the admin unless you bunch through some hoops and this method seems to fix some crashing issues I have seen on other systems.

HTH

I noticed in your .pdf the file is saved on M: drive. I know it's supposed to work but I fought a long fight trying to successfully run files from a network drive and had repeated crash problems. Try this, just move the file to somewhere on your local c: drive and try it for a while. Running local solved my problems and now I keep all my files local and have backup software to sync with the network.

John

I have USB hasp, Mill Level 3, Lathe Level 1, Solids, 5-Axis

Yes, I am running live on a network, and have been doing so for more than 5 years without this type of issue. I hesitate to work on my local drive because I seem to develop severe brain damage at the end of the day and can not remember to back up to the network. :wacko:

There may be another issue here that I can not control. We have network-wide antivirus, Symantec Endpoint Protection. I hate it. My network Admin loves it. Since installing last October (prior to X5 install) my computer performance has been terrible. I have discussed the problem with the netAdmin, but he is not helpful sometimes.

I am a little stubborn and set in my ways ;) (I used V9 full time until October, then X4 for a month, then on to X5). I engrave the old fashioned way, contour on chained geometry. There may be easier ways to do it now (as I am sure that there are for every other type of toolpath also) but when money rides on it, I stick with what I am 100% sure of.

I have learned enough about X5 to stumble my way through a program, still have tons of stuff to explore and learn.

We have network-wide antivirus, Symantec Endpoint Protection

do you have access to your log files? You could review them to see if Endpoint is blocking a file or proccess.

Could talk your IT dept into shutting it off for a couple of minutes while you go through your crash drill??

You should be able to exxclude mastercam from Endpoint's scanning which would speed things up for you.

Of course, that would require your IT people actually doing something :rolleyes: