Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Analyze Parallel Line Distance?

yojohn

I need a way to determine the distance between two parallel lines that aren't aligned with either the X or Y axis. The lines aren't the same length so midpoints/endpoints distances won't work. What I have done thus far is draw a line perpendicular from the first and trim it to the second, then verify the line length. There has to be a simple way to do this. I've gotten spoiled to "Verify 2 Entities" in Bobcad.

Yojohn

The points dont matter.it can be any point on any type of enity.

Draw two vertical lines 1 inch apart any inches long, both differant the one on left towards the top of the screen and the other towards the bottom.when you analyze between points endpoints

your x will say 1.0000 the lines dont have to be parallel or perpindicular.

Like I say, in a perfect world.

You've ignored the very first sentence of my first post "two parallel lines that aren't aligned with either the X or Y axis"

Try it again at say... 22.5° with unequal length lines and you'll see what I'm referring to.

However the Create Line Closest suggestion works almost as simple as Bobcad...I'll do that until I find a better way.

Cheers,

Yojohn

No problem...

It's funny how a "Analyze 2 Entities" isn't employed in MC. It is so handy and simple. In Bobcad, you can select any 2 entities, (not snap points) whether they are lines, arcs, points and it will return what the to enties are along with the distance, for example, "parallel line distance" or "line to arc distance" or "angle of 2 lines" or "arc c to c distance". In a line-to-arc situation, it would include distances of nearside, center, and farside.

Anyway, pretty handy feature when you have to take existing drawings and analyze a lot.

Yojohn

I agree some additional analyze functionality would be a welcome addition. I use Cadkey Tooldesign and modeling prior to bringing into MC. CK has a pretty robust set of verification tools that I miss sorely once I start programming. On the other hand MC has many things that CK doesnt too. Hopefully X will add some of this functionality as it is a productivity booster.

Baaad english rolleyes.gif too lazy to fix

[ 04-29-2003, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: CPeast ]

Create a drafting Dim and use a Leaner Dim by using the (P) on the key board.

it's like this go

Create

Drafting

Now look at the top for the otion for the (P)

Then hit the "P" key and use

Endpoint

then pick the first line not right at the end forsay.

then pick the other line.

Move the mouse till you get the correct result being that will offer more then one.

Once you find the corect one use the "L" key to lock this postion.

Hi

Just type the letters "CLC"

pick any two 2-d entities

The answer is on bottom left of the screen.

Then hit the Undo ,if you don't want the line.

quote:

It's funny how a "Analyze 2 Entities" isn't employed in MC.

Yojohn --it's all there , we just don';t call it by the same name.

[ 04-29-2003, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]