Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Alloy identification

Bob W.

I have an aluminum part I am reverse engineering and I need to determine what alloy the aluminum is. It is a cast automotive part. Is there a place I can send this to get a positive identification? Not really a Mastercam question but I figured I would get a pretty good answer in this forum.

Thanks,

Bob

You can narrow it down a bit if you can tell if it is a die cast, investment cast or sand cast part.

Automotive parts are usually die cast or sand cast.

Investment cast would probably be A386 alum.

Looks like die cast uses A380 - A386 quick Google search

You might call a foundry and ask them what alloys they normally use.

they sell a laser that will tell you what the material is. you just point it at the part. pull the trigger. and it burns a small spot and from the light emitted from it it will tell you what it is. here is a link to the one i have seen in use.

http://www.azonano.com/equipment-details.asp?EquipID=24

very cool. the last shop i was in got caught by it. we made parts out of 7075 instead of 2024 and that laser caught it and we remade them. we then bought one for ourselves shortly after.

they sell a laser that will tell you what the material is. you just point it at the part. pull the trigger. and it burns a small spot and from the light emitted from it it will tell you what it is. here is a link to the one i have seen in use.

http://www.azonano.com/equipment-details.asp?EquipID=24

very cool. the last shop i was in got caught by it. we made parts out of 7075 instead of 2024 and that laser caught it and we remade them. we then bought one for ourselves shortly after.

Do you know of a business with this capability that I could send a sample for analysis?