Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X4 file is now empty?

kazmir44

I just noticed this today when i had to go back in a mcx file to make some changes. I programmed the lathe work on a job using X4. Then, when it went to get mill programmed, the mill programmer tried to import my X4 file into X2.(i think) Now, i have an empty X4 file. The file still has some size to it, but there is nothing there. No geometry, no toolpaths, and my machine def is now a Generic Mill.

I checked our server backup first thing, and that was a no go.(very dissapointing)

So, my question is, is there anyway to recover this file? or am i totally screwed?

I know for sure toolpath does not convert to OLDER versions of mastercam....BUT....

The geometry should be there.....check your levels/blanks etc. Also check your colors......Maybe the other programmer changed colors on you....(if a black background, and changing all colors to black......you will see BLACK or NOTHING..

Having a blank X4.....isn't that the file version before the back conversion? If converting from X4 to X2, then back to X4.....yes toolpath is GONE!

do you have the X4 backup utiltiy running..?

If you do look in System Congig/Files and see where the backup files are being saved

If your mill guy saved your file as X2 and you don't have a backup, your toolpaths are toast.

The geometry should still be there though

do you have the X4 backup utiltiy running..?

If you do look in System Congig/Files and see where the backup files are being saved

If your mill guy saved your file as X2 and you don't have a backup, your toolpaths are toast.

The geometry should still be there though

If he did a "save as" should'nt his X4 file still be intact ??

I just tried it and make X5 file was fine.

PEACE :D

• Like 1

I looked a little further into this file this morning. The file contains no geometry, no toolpaths,and we don't use the autosave/backup function. So I guess, i'll just have to start over and do it again. I actually save a solid model of the finished lathe part as an X2 file, for the mill programmer to use as a stock model. But apparently he tried to merge the X4 file instead. <_<

I still don't see why this would happen, if all he did was try to merge geometry. Why would it affect the source file?

Why would it affect the source file?

He tried to open an X4 file in X2.. and got a alarm that said

"corrupt or invalid file"

then it asked him if he wanted to save it and he said yes

which overwrote your good X4 file with an empty X2 file..

If you don't have a back up file, you are all done. :(

This issue is the main reason X5 files have the file extension mcx-5

so people will know which version file they are trying to open.

Something similar happened to me and I copied the file in question to my desktop, opened

the new copied one. It was fixed.

Renamed the old one(not delete just in case) and put the new one in the same old folder

Worth a try.

Cheers

Tried it, but still no go.

He tried to open an X4 file in X2.. and got a alarm that said

"corrupt or invalid file"

then it asked him if he wanted to save it and he said yes

which overwrote your good X4 file with an empty X2 file..

If you don't have a back up file, you are all done. :(

This issue is the main reason X5 files have the file extension mcx-5

so people will know which version file they are trying to open.

Thats what i think really happened. But the guy says otherwise. And, the file is still an X4 file. Weird.

Guess i'll just start over. :(

Thanks for all the replies guys. ;)

This issue is the main reason X5 files have the file extension mcx-5]

Since I started using MC, (@ X2) I have named files like this.... filexxxx_MX2.mcx ,...filexxxx_MX3.mcx.....filexxxx_MX4.mcx

You gotta start using back up files. I do it with a 2 copy back up. I use the undersscore

for the backup option (filexxxx_MX4_1.mcx & filexxxx_MX4_2.mcx) are what is in my backup folder

When I SAVE a file, I save it twice so that my(1st,filexxxx_MX4_1.mcx) backup file is always current with

my' in use' file. Never lose any work this way

The old backups get overwritten. Our server back up system backs up everything

daily and I can retrieve any file any day back for 2 months.

Solid and foolproof so far.

cheers