Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Geometry question

Alrow

Hi Guys,

I'm a total newbie with Mastercam and have a question. I've been using Esprit for the past few years for our multi axis lathes and things are much different. I'm trying figure out the radius size on on a slotted feature (spline) going from the od through to the ID. I've tried a few things but with no success. Hopefully there is a quick and easy way to to do this, we have a large family of parts with identical features.

Thank you in advance!

Might not be perfect but quick and easy, create arc 3 points, pick the 2 endpoints of the spline and a point somewhere close to the middle, then analyze the arc.

Welcome to the forum!

This method seems to work just fine, thank you. Like you mentioned, it isn't the quickest way but it gets the job done. Hopefully someone will chime in with a quicker method since I have a large variation of slots. Unfortunately we don't have any prints to go along with the solids but on the other hand we were given a wide open general tolerance directly off the model.

Analyze dynamic?

Tried this already and didn't have any luck. It seems to pickup varying arcs segments along the spline.

Try

In the create menu

create curve constant parameter

slide the select arrow onto the surface in the hole - it will work with solid faces

There are two choices one will give a line along the surface

the other will create a geometry as a circle - now just analyze entity properties

Try

In the create menu

create curve constant parameter

slide the select arrow onto the surface in the hole - it will work with solid faces

There are two choices one will give a line along the surface

the other will create a geometry as a circle - now just analyze entity properties

I tried this method a few times and I can't seem to get it right.... :wacko:. This is my 1st week working with Mastercam and for the most part things have been somewhat straight forward, at least in 2D. The part I seem to be having troubles with is sliding the arrow onto the surface. I'm just not quite sure exactly what I should be doing. Thanks again for the response.

Goto screen - shade settings and make the part translucent

then it will be easier to see the selection arrow

If you have a lot of parts create a screen shortcut to toggle translucent setting

:D Got It!!!!!

You guys are awesome!!!! I now have 3 different options a few hours later....amazing. Thanks again guys for the support.