Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

control definition copy to another pc?

Newbeeee™

Hi All,

Just installing X5 Mu1 on our 2nd workstation.

I have set-up mcam and just gone through the ball ache of configuration, as I know I can't copy over the config file.

But I have copied over everything else from our other workstation.

All is finally ok exept when I start mcam (this is on the newly configured pc), the Machine Group-1 has mcam std mill control set as default, and not our specific one.

If I click properties>files and then Machine - Toolpath Copy > Replace, I can select our one and it all works ok.

But on a new file again, mcam reverts to the default setting???

On looking in the shared mcamX5>CNC Machines folder, our .CONTROL-5 file has a padlock on the icon. WTF?

So is this becuase I copied (drag and dropped) the file over from the other 100% working fine and dandy PC?

BIG PUULLEEEEEEAASEEEE goes out to CNC so in future versions, we can just drag and drop all files (including config) into other PC's of the same version. This is so time consuming going through each setting one at a time (unless someone knows a better way - then please put me out of my misery :D )

Thanks - Mr Frustrated in England

settings

config

start/exit

startup product---think you already have this set to mill since it is defaulting to a milling machine

mine opens to the right machine everytime. I isolated the machine def I use for default by moving all the others to a new folder.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I have moved all other files to a new sub folder called 'Original', and mcam defaults to this folder :blink:

Do you know why the file would have the padlock icon on it?

I thought about putting them on the network:- pro's and cons? (apart from the obvious that the network has to be on)?

pro's

everybody is using the same post , machine and control def and tool libraies

its a lot less work to add new computers to your system

con's

if your network goes down.. everybody's down

if your network is slow.. this is a bad idea

pro's everybody is using the same post , machine and control def and tool libraiesits a lot less work to add new computers to your system

con's if your network goes down.. everybody's downif your network is slow.. this is a bad idea

pros = yup

cons = tell me about it

but still being on a slow network and everybody using the same files is priceless

Keith - yep did this.

This is strange as I have never had a problem like this before.

The other PC (identical) I set up and got going in no time. This has been a bit of a nightmare.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprosecurity/thread/e8347f6f-e835-42e1-8509-eee38f83bb05

May have found the answer here for the locked icon???

Ohhhhh X4 was sooooo much easier. Drag and drop easy peasy!

Sorted the locked file...

On the original PC, all was ok and all the original files had security set to everyone.

They were copied over (drag and dropped) and one of them automatically changed to system? I deleted this and re-copied it over, and it still changed to system and locked itself.

This was unlocked by going security > system (user group) > advanced > change permissions > and tick(select) 'Include inheritable permissions from objects parent' > apply

This has now changed the file to the user group of everyone (the same as the user group of the other files)

Dos anyone :D

This hasn't sorted my problem of the default loading, but thanks all for your help.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update here for everyone (Thanks to Nick @4D for this):-

Post No 4 above was the key.

I had moved all original machine and control defs to a newly created sub-folder (called original), and only had our specific files in the mastercam default location.

But what was happening on the 1x PC, was that mcam was grabbing one of the original instal files from my newly created folder.

No matter what i did, it always grabbed from my 'original' created folder.

So the answer was to delete this folder, and mastercam now grabs the machine/control defs from the 'proper' place and all is well.

Why this PC/mcam instal doesn't like other machine and control defs is (like lots of things) beyond me as the other PC is fine.

Cheers