Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Projected Pocket Cycle

Noel

Good Day all

I have a weird problem with my 8.1.1.I am projecting pocket cuts on a 3d surface.it consists of multiple chains but always messes a bunch of them up.Often times it will skip one pocket out of a group.If I chain the troubled chain by itself using all of the same settings the missing pocket cuts fine. All chains are closed with no overlapping or duplicate entities.If I go in to explorer and rename my config file and then restart MC forcing it to make a new config file then regen the same geometry it works fine.If I regen it on my second seat the results are always different as well.Any one else ever have this problem? If I chain each pocket indevidualy it some times helps.Reversing problem chains sometimes helps.There are never any alarms generated in MC.

confused.gif Noel

[ 05-28-2003, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Noel Sevigny ]

Jay

Thanks for your reply.I uploaded the file to the FTP site it is in the mcam8 folder and is called engraving test.If you look at the first op chain # 17 is the pocket that will not cut. However in the second op I chained it by itself and it cuts fine(go figure).Thanks in advance.Let me know if you find anything.

cheers.gif Noel

Noel, I downloaded your file and gave it a shot. Try changing the stepover amount in your 2D pocket program. I find that usually pocketing logos and things of that sort in MC, you have to screw with your stepover % or pocketing style. I see you have the finish pass turned off, which also helps. I changed the stepover from 45% to 30% and it worked here.

HTH

That's the way it's always been for me here with MC. I have severeal different logos that I deboss on lots of prototypes here, and some can be a real pain in the butt to get to work correctly. As I said in my earlier post, it's usually screwing with the stepover% or turning the finish pass on or off that does it, but I've had to resort to seperate 2D pockets for each letter before...

Currently I'm having trouble projecting pocketed paths using different WCS's confused.gif

Nothin I can't work around though...which reminds me...

[ 05-29-2003, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Zero ]

Yes. I just regn'd your op1. It did not cut in order but it did cut all the chains. I did a new op with the same chains and it cut them in order.

(with window chain). I would say its the regen of your original op that causes it to go out of order. Did you load in the v8.1.1 patches from emastercam?

Check your default chaining tolerance in Screen/config/tolerance.

If it is set too tight, and one of your chains is not perfect, the regen will fail because the chain breaks.

It would be interesting to see what your default setting is compared to the guys who are running your file without problems.

Try raising your default chain tolerance a bit and reloading the file.

As far as I know I have all of the latest patches but I will check.As for my chaining tollerance it is set to .002" for just that reason.I'm starting to think I need to do a reinstall.I wiil check the patches first.Thanks for all of the help.Ive sent the MC8 file and my config file to CNC to check out as well I'll let you guys know if they come up with anything.

cheers.gif Noel

quote:

Okay heres a head scratcher.I just got an email from CNC and Jamie suggested setting my chaining tolerance to .0001" and it fixes chain # 17 in the first op.Makes no sense to me.

Perhaps one or more of the projected entities is smaller than your chain tolerance. If that is the case, I can easily see where MasterCAM would get confused during the projection.