Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

top plane in mastercam, x y

bot9million

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why this is?

Is one way more widely used then the other?

I have really only used Mastercam and Solidworks.

thanks

there's a response on the SolidWorks forums I've read...

Here's an old post from Jim Wilkinson on the SolidWorks blog:

Every once in a while, a question comes up on the forum or through other paths about the orientation of the global coordinate system and related view triad in SolidWorks. Users wonder why the Y-axis is pointing up and X-Z represents the top plane or table top when looking down from the top, while in some other CAD or CAM systems they may have used, the Z-axis is pointing up and X-Y represents the top plane or table top. Well, unfortunately, there are at least two defacto "standards" in the modeling industry for the orientation of the global coordinate system. I call them the Y-up and Z-up coordinate system standards. Both of these coordinate systems are right hand rule coordinate systems, they just happen to be rotated differently. So, neither of these systems is "wrong" and as they say, that is the great thing about standards...so many to choose from

thanks for your reply Marshal.

gcode, I understand SW front = MCAM top; just wondering why the two packages are set up the way that they are.

htm01, I understand how to create a local coordinate system in SW, thanks.

edit: Marshal, can you post the link?

Here's the link. There's been quite a bit of discussion about just this topic on the SW forums by the look of things.

https://forum.solidworks.com/community/solidworks/user_interface/blog/2010/10/06/global-coordinate-system--which-way-is-up

• Like 1