Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Importing files & using the models

powerfulp

Ok I don't know if this is basic stuff or what (I haven't spent a lot of time working on Mastercam), but I am having problems using the files that I import into Mastercam.

The latest problem is an .igs file. I am trying to use the model of the part for programming and it won't let me select any of the geometry. I go to analyze the model (like using distance) and it's the same thing. I have 'enabled all' on my autocursor but still nothing highlights or snaps when I'm in analyze or toolpath. The only thing that happens that shows this model is 'alive' is the individual features highlight when I run the cursor over the part (when not in analyze or toolpath mode).

There has to be something I'm doing wrong with these files when I import them. Are there things I should/shouldn't have checked in the options before I import?

Thanks for any help

Yep the curve on all edges worked. I just selected the entire model now I can drill on it. Thanks

The solids / from surfaces... I'm not sure how that works. It didn't let me select anything, it said there are no surfaces on the screen or none have been selected. I'm not familiar with the lingo - example: I don't know what surfaces really means. When I import a pro/e model, would it have surfaces or is it something else?

Also... I can't analyze properties after I did the curve on edge thing (couldn't before, either). This is a solid model from pro/e that was changed to .igs file. Is there any way I'm going to be able to analyze properties when I import a file or can we only do that when we create the whole thing in mastercam?

"property analysis" will mean something different depending on the type of entity analyzed.

"analyze entity properties" (F4) works on your wireframe (lines, arcs, splines created in mcam, or re-propogated as edge curves).

"analyze distance" can lock to their endpoints or the virtual snap points on a solid.

"analyze dynamic" wants you to click on a solid's face or on a surface. it shows things like curvature, extents in XYZ, or current position.

Also... I can't analyze properties after I did the curve on edge thing (couldn't before, either). This is a solid model from pro/e that was changed to .igs file. Is there any way I'm going to be able to analyze properties when I import a file or can we only do that when we create the whole thing in mastercam?

Yes you will be able to measure everything. You need to set your cursor properties to the little white arrowhead at the top.

left click it then analyze any edge curve you want.

Do you have solids with Mastercam?