Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Organizing Files

dylskee

Hello again,

I've gained another week of experience with MC but I've still got a long way to go and I'm in need of some advice on organizing your files. I've got a folder full of .step files that I'm working on and I am machining pockets and holes on all sides, can someone explain a good way of organizing the file to be machined? What I used to do with GibbsCam is drag my solid in, then I would create "work groups" in MC it's called "Levels" and I would extract geometry for the machining of the first op. Face mill would be work group 1 and then I would put the pockets on another work group and so on...... Then I would do a "save as" and call it "operation 2" and put the part in the correct orientation to machine the second side and I would do this for all the sides as required. How do you MasterCam pros do it? How do you cut and paste geometry from level to level? When I first drag the step file in, it's just a wire frame and the solid so I would keep that on the first level and then create another level to extract geometry to? I'm a little confused to say the least. It seems when I extract geometry using the "Create curve on all edges" and select a face I end up with duplicate geometry a lot. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Wow, that was fast, thanks guys! So what I just did was copied the solid to another level then face selected the geometry I needed and then I selected the wire frame from the solid and deleted it, is this normal practice or am I out in left field somewhere? I'm working for a very small shop right now and the owner hasn't had much time to spend with me so I have been working on my own so the process is a little slow right now. Thanks for the help Kevin, and thanks Jeff, I didn't even see that function in the list! That helps a lot.

I often have duplicate entities on different levels, and I want to keep them. The delete duplicate advanced gives you more options so you don't inadvertantly delete a duplicate entity that you want to keep.

BTW you can right click inside the level manager and copy and paste entire levels right there.

Wow, that was fast, thanks guys! So what I just did was copied the solid to another level then face selected the geometry I needed and then I selected the wire frame from the solid and deleted it, is this normal practice or am I out in left field somewhere? I'm working for a very small shop right now and the owner hasn't had much time to spend with me so I have been working on my own so the process is a little slow right now. Thanks for the help Kevin, and thanks Jeff, I didn't even see that function in the list! That helps a lot.

Hey Dylskee. I'm finding mastercam a bit harder to learn than Gibbscam. The cnc zone is another good place to check out. Good luck to you.

Then I would do a "save as" and call it "operation 2" and put the part in the correct orientation to machine the second side and I would do this for all the sides as required. How do you MasterCam pros do it?

I would personally use the WCS instead of having 4 different files if I have 4 setups.

Lets say you want to machine the top and the bottom of your part.

Position your part correctly to machine the top. (you can use Xform move to origin command)

Make all the toolpaths you need for that setup.

Right-click in the operation manager on machine group-1: Groups/new toolpath groups

Go into Wcs/view manager 9bottom right of the screen)

Select the Bottom plane and click on the Equal sign you will find on the right of the view mgr

accept.

now if you go into ISO view you will notice that your part is flipped

Go back into the view mgr and change the position of the origin by using the white arrow button near the xyz coordinates (bottom right of the view mgr)

you will need to click where you want the origin of that setup to be

Make all the toolpath you want to machine the Bottom

when you post select only the operations that use on the same plane.

Make sure that on the machine you flip you part according to mastercam rotation which is a 180 deg rotation around the Y axis and not around the X

Using this feature will prevent you from having either duplicates in the same file or multiple files for the same part.

Obviously there is lot more you can do with the planes and the WCS.

If you want, in the level mgr you can right-click/save named level.

Then on a new part you could go in the lvl mgr and right-click/get named level to import all your level name to save up on time.

Hey Dylskee. I'm finding mastercam a bit harder to learn than Gibbscam. The cnc zone is another good place to check out. Good luck to you.

Hey DTM, you switched to MasterCam too huh? Yeah I'm finding it a little more difficult myself, Gibbs is a lot more user friendly and the graphics blow MC away! A bit glitchy too.

I would personally use the WCS instead of having 4 different files if I have 4 setups.

Lets say you want to machine the top and the bottom of your part.

Position your part correctly to machine the top. (you can use Xform move to origin command)

Make all the toolpaths you need for that setup.

Right-click in the operation manager on machine group-1: Groups/new toolpath groups

Go into Wcs/view manager 9bottom right of the screen)

Select the Bottom plane and click on the Equal sign you will find on the right of the view mgr

accept.

now if you go into ISO view you will notice that your part is flipped

Go back into the view mgr and change the position of the origin by using the white arrow button near the xyz coordinates (bottom right of the view mgr)

you will need to click where you want the origin of that setup to be

Make all the toolpath you want to machine the Bottom

when you post select only the operations that use on the same plane.

Make sure that on the machine you flip you part according to mastercam rotation which is a 180 deg rotation around the Y axis and not around the X

Using this feature will prevent you from having either duplicates in the same file or multiple files for the same part.

Obviously there is lot more you can do with the planes and the WCS.

If you want, in the level mgr you can right-click/save named level.

Then on a new part you could go in the lvl mgr and right-click/get named level to import all your level name to save up on time.

I've tried that a couple of time but it never works for me, I know I'm obviously doing something wrong but I followed your instructions and the tool path still enters upside down. When I'm looking at the bottom view in ISO (Actually looking at the top of the bottom) the Z is pointing into the geometry and no matter what I do it won't reverse. I've had a few beers tonight so I'll try again tomorrow and check back. Thanks again for your replies, I appreciate all the help I can get.

Hey DTM, you switched to MasterCam too huh? Yeah I'm finding it a little more difficult myself, Gibbs is a lot more user friendly and the graphics blow MC away! A bit glitchy too.

I've tried that a couple of time but it never works for me, I know I'm obviously doing something wrong but I followed your instructions and the tool path still enters upside down. When I'm looking at the bottom view in ISO (Actually looking at the top of the bottom) the Z is pointing into the geometry and no matter what I do it won't reverse. I've had a few beers tonight so I'll try again tomorrow and check back. Thanks again for your replies, I appreciate all the help I can get.

Hey dylskee. Yes I made the switch to. I'm with you 100% on the graphics and yes it is a bit glitchy. Make sure when you use the wcs and change it to bottom, left ect.... in your toolpath you have the same plane selected. I just did a 5-axis impeller and everything showed up great in the verify and in the backplot, but when I ran the part the tool clipped every blade with a rapped move out. The guys at mastercam said the verify doesn't keep track of rapid moves. I had the blades set as check surfaces, but the tool hit them anyway. I just made the check surface +.040 and the tool still clipped the blades, but there was still enough stock to cleanup. No one had an anser to why. In gibbs I relied on the verify 100% What you saw was what you got. Something to remember when using verify.

Hey dylskee. Yes I made the switch to. I'm with you 100% on the graphics and yes it is a bit glitchy. Make sure when you use the wcs and change it to bottom, left ect.... in your toolpath you have the same plane selected. I just did a 5-axis impeller and everything showed up great in the verify and in the backplot, but when I ran the part the tool clipped every blade with a rapped move out. The guys at mastercam said the verify doesn't keep track of rapid moves. I had the blades set as check surfaces, but the tool hit them anyway. I just made the check surface +.040 and the tool still clipped the blades, but there was still enough stock to cleanup. No one had an anser to why. In gibbs I relied on the verify 100% What you saw was what you got. Something to remember when using verify.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1
Another annoying thing, if I haven't extracted any geometry from a solid .stp model why does MC show a wire frame of geometry I can't use?

It's NOT wireframe (if you did not allow the wireframe to come in during the import - see the "options" button when you import it. There's a few possibiities when you read STEP files in), they are solid edges, visible when a solid body is unshaded. EVERY CAD system I've ever seen shows this.

If that wasn't there it would make life a lot easier. I just want geometry I'm going to use.

You have near complete control over what you see/what is there.

Perhaps some training may get you over the hump on some of the basics that frustrate you.

HTH

:cheers:

It's NOT wireframe (if you did not allow the wireframe to come in during the import - see the "options" button when you import it. There's a few possibiities when you read STEP files in), they are solid edges, visible when a solid body is unshaded. EVERY CAD system I've ever seen shows this.

You have near complete control over what you see/what is there.

Perhaps some training may get you over the hump on some of the basics that frustrate you.

HTH

:cheers:

Yes I understand I need training on the basics, hence my posts asking for help in which yours doesn't seem to help much except for stating the obvious! I've used other Cad systems before that are much more user friendly, MC IS NOT one of those systems but I have to learn it if I want to continue to eat. I have got a grasp on the levels now so the road to progression has begun. Next time try being more helpful then stating the obvious, that's more annoying then not knowing what I'm doing. Being a moderator I figured you would know this.

Yes I understand I need training on the basics, hence my posts asking for help in which yours doesn't seem to help much except for stating the obvious! I've used other Cad systems before that are much more user friendly, MC IS NOT one of those systems but I have to learn it if I want to continue to eat. I have got a grasp on the levels now so the road to progression has begun. Next time try being more helpful then stating the obvious, that's more annoying then not knowing what I'm doing. Being a moderator I figured you would know this.

No xxxx. Usc's backyard boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Being a moderator IN THE OFF TOPIC area has nothing to do with offering help.

You would be better served going here or here for some learning. Forums are not particularly well suited for training.

Right click in the graphics area

Select Autocursor

Turn on Endpoints and Arc Center

Now you can select the corners and arc centers on your solid model

The guys at mastercam said the verify doesn't keep track of rapid moves. I had the blades set as check surfaces, but the tool hit them anyway.

This is a dogleg rapid. Your machine does not rapid in a straight line. Mastercam backplot and Verify display rapids as straight line.

Mastercam does not know the kinematics of the machine and does not accurately backplot rapid motion if the machine doglegs

If you're doing 5X work the simplest solution is to set your post to output rapids as fast G01 motion.

Being a moderator IN THE OFF TOPIC area has nothing to do with offering help.

You would be better served going here or here for some learning. Forums are not particularly well suited for training.

I don't mean any disrespect because I'm not that guy, but this is a forum for directly helping people who use MasterCam and if I'm wrong please tell me. You are directly representing MC and if you don't believe me the title of the website is "eMASTERCAM.COM" so when I come here after my employer has spent more than $for the software I would hope that I could get a little help, is that too much to ask? I learned a lot from the GibbsCam forum and I am forever grateful for that, I would think that the direct competitor would do the same but I guess I'm wrong. I am just trying to do my job well so I spend my weekends on my own time trying to better myself for my employer. How dare I! I'll let our local reseller know that their public forum for helping their customers is useless because their moderators direct them to an outside source for training. Thanks for all your help......

Another annoying thing, if I haven't extracted any geometry from a solid .stp model why does MC show a wire frame of geometry I can't use? If that wasn't there it would make life a lot easier. I just want geometry I'm going to use.

you can turn this off in System Config.

don't have a sim on this machine so I can't chech... but I think its on the Converters page

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I don't mean any disrespect because I'm not that guy, but this is a forum for directly helping people who use MasterCam and if I'm wrong please tell me. You are directly representing MC and if you don't believe me the title of the website is "eMASTERCAM.COM" so when I come here after my employer has spent more than $for the software I would hope that I could get a little help, is that too much to ask? I learned a lot from the GibbsCam forum and I am forever grateful for that, I would think that the direct competitor would do the same but I guess I'm wrong. I am just trying to do my job well so I spend my weekends on my own time trying to better myself for my employer. How dare I! I'll let our local reseller know that their public forum for helping their customers is useless because their moderators direct them to an outside source for training. Thanks for all your help......

There's help then there's training. There's some basics you need to get a handle on, there's no way around it sorry to say.

I represent nobody but myself here.

I've spent my free time helping people in here for the last 11+ years, and I'd venture to say that the number of people I've helped is in the thousands easy. It's been HELP, not TRAINING. There is a difference. I'm sorry if that makes you uncomfortable, pissed off, or whatever. I have no qualms about reccommending outside sources for training. I believe they even advertise their services here for just such needs. I did fail to mention Mastercam U. My apologies. There are things that those sites offer that make learning MUCH easier. Don't be offended because I directed you there. Believe it or not, I'm doing you a favor by pointing you in that direction. People that want to be effective programmers use whatver tools are available to them.

Just sayin'