Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

planes

Dtm

Does anyone know how to build a plane for each hole in this part. The only way I can do it is to run the fmb drill. This will create a plane for each hole. I only need to drill 2 of the holes and I would like to know how to do this in mastercam. If I create a curve on the top of the hole and the bottom they are splines, therefore there is no center point two draw a line between the two. I'm stuck here, but there has to be a way other than fbm drill

Does anyone know how to build a plane for each hole in this part. The only way I can do it is to run the fmb drill. This will create a plane for each hole. I only need to drill 2 of the holes and I would like to know how to do this in mastercam. If I create a curve on the top of the hole and the bottom they are splines, therefore there is no center point two draw a line between the two. I'm stuck here, but there has to be a way other than fbm drill

I tried to attach a parasolid. I don't have mastercam at home. It's a five axis part.

You can create a surface on each hole, then Un-Trim the surfaces. When you create edge curves, it should give you arcs.

Thanks colin. I didn't think to un-trim. I don't want to use an add-on. I have an interview on tuesday for a 5-axis programmer and they probably don't use the add on. They want me to take a test, and I'm good with that. I will try the un-trim on monday morning.

You can create a surface on each hole, then Un-Trim the surfaces. When you create edge curves, it should give you arcs.

Thanks colin. I didn't think to un-trim. I don't want to use an add-on. I have an interview on tuesday for a 5-axis programmer and they probably don't use the add on. They want me to take a test, and I'm good with that. I will try the un-trim on monday morning.

The hole axis utility is a great tool,

Typically the old way, is create a surface from the solid, untrim it, create arcs at the top and bottom, then create a line between the center points, thus creating your vector.

I could certainty understand you wanting to know the long way, since walking into a place you don't know if the tool is available to you, if you get the job I would really suggest using it, it makes the other way, so much easier and into a single click.

Good Luck!

PS. Personally, I think this functionality should be added into the main product, it is a great utility that would be great funtionality ;)

The hole axis utility is a great tool,

Typically the old way, is create a surface from the solid, untrim it, create arcs at the top and bottom, then create a line between the center points, thus creating your vector.

I could certainty understand you wanting to know the long way, since walking into a place you don't know if the tool is available to you, if you get the job I would really suggest using it, it makes the other way, so much easier and into a single click.

Good Luck!

PS. Personally, I think this functionality should be added into the main product, it is a great utility that would be great funtionality ;)

Thanks guys. I will check it out.

You could also use the create curves flowline to minize the number of function you use

Usually in this function you select your cylinder, flip the direction and change chord height to number and choose 4 or more.

then you still need to create the vector line.

The only thing with that is that you do not have the actual depth of your hole like you usually have with the un-trim method