Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Transferring all MC stuff to a new beast computer...

Joe788

So I got my new computer going (47.465s Benchmark :o ), but now I need to move everything MC related (except mcx files themselves) over from my old hoopty. What's the easiest way to make this happen? With V9-X4 it was no problem, but with X5 and the magical populating mymcamx5 folder, I'm lost. :huh:

Well,......

What OS was der old hoopty runnin'? :huh:

Here is the file mapping for the post, machine definition and control definition files.

If you are using Windows 7 or Vista

The .mmd and .control files go in the C:\Users\Public\Documents\Shared McamX5\cnc_machines\ folder.

The .pst file goes in the C:\Users\Public\Documents\Shared McamX5\mill\posts\ folder.

If you are using Windows XP

The .mmd and .control files go in the C:\Documents and Settings\ All Users\Shared Documents\Shared McamX5\cnc_machines\ folder.

The .pst file goes in the C:\ Documents and Settings\ All Users\Shared Documents\Shared McamX5\mill\posts\ folder.

Is the New Hotrod a 64bit, was the old smoker a 32bit?

Thanks CJep, that should handle the post and machine defs. Any idea how to properly move other stuff, like configuration, key mapping, tool libraries, etc?

New machine is:

Costco brand ZT Systems computer: $899 with free shipping

Core i7-2600

Windows 7 X64

2TB HDD

12GB RAM

Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard

Quadro FX580 from Newegg: $179.99

Samsung 128GB SSD from Newegg: $224.99

7 minutes to install SSD: One beer

Total cost: $1305

Benchmark X5MU1: 47.465s

Old one is running XP Pro 32 bit.

Joe I have identical systems at home and at work

I bring the Config/cncmachines/mill/chook files home on a flash drive.

I cut and paste the original fresh install files to my desk top then

replace them with the one on the flash drive.

I did this with X5 Mu1 and it work perfectly with now problems.

I have done this with every version update from work to home flawlessly.

Cheers

Any idea how to properly move other stuff, like configuration, key mapping, tool libraries, etc?

That's a whole different game,... ;)

You're going from a XP-32bit system to a Win7-64bit, the file mapping is completely different, if you just take the config files and drop them into your new install,.....

(your next posting will probably be "Why is my Junk all Hockered Up!")

There is a pdf in the documentation folder called "McamX5_Transition Guide" on page 15 it talks about merging config files. B)

That's a whole different game,... ;)

You're going from a XP-32bit system to a Win7-64bit, the file mapping is completely different, if you just take the config files and drop them into your new install,.....

(your next posting will probably be "Why is my Junk all Hockered Up!")

Good guess! :lol:

I basically followed Rickster's method, and it sorta worked. It's freaking out about material libraries and a few other things, because as you pointed out, the file mapping is completely different. I can get into the config and point that stuff to the right place though.

Sometimes I really miss the V9 days! :p