Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam or Win7 bug?

Mic6

This problem started last week. I'll spend hours programming, of course saving as I go along. I have file back-ups active. I'll go back and open a different file to print a related tool list, then go back to open my original part and I get an error saying

"Cannot open "part #" It is a file from a newer Mastercam version or is not a file format recognized by Mastercam." The original prt and all the backups have the ".mcx-5" suffix.

My orginal has a zero file size as well as all of my backups! WTH? Anybody else having this problem? :blink:

EDIT: the error is a Verisurf titled error window.

Verisurf is actually quite sloppy in how it integrates with Mastercam.

At least it was with X3 & X4.

Do NOT install Verisurf on any Mastercam system that is used for making toolpaths.

Uninstalling will break your Mastercam setup as it deletes files it shouldn't.

It did on the X4 systems I had to maintain.

I had to do an installation repair to fix the problems.

X5 maybe different now but based on your description I would say Verisurf has broken something.

This should NEVER happen with 3rd Party Plug-Ins.

Uggh, maybe this is why my Mastercam editor "broke"? It opens after I click thru a couple error messages. Why the heck does Cimcoedit take 2 minutes to open? Maybe I should uninstall and do a fresh install? The only Verisurf tools I use are X+....bummer.

I'm pretty sure X+ is not a Verisurf tool, but a free add-on from another 3rd party developer.

I've added the free Verisurf toolkit to every machine I've ever worked on since the day it came out

without problems.

I have had Verisurf error messages come up for Mastercam errors... but that's just the bitmap file

of the error message, not the actual error..

The X5Mu1 version on verisurfs tools has been completely trouble free on all 5 workstations

here at my day job as well as the 2 workstations and laptop I run at home.

I've heard of CimcoEdit taking a long time to launch, and experienced it.

Normally it goes away after the first launch of the day.

I have never found a solution for it..

as for Files failing to save

I'm pretty sure its a reported bug that has been adressed in X6

I've seen a few posts on it here listing the cause and work around.

I can't think of a good search word to bring thoses posts up..

I think it may be caused by double clicking File Open too quickly

I ALWAYS go

File Save

then

File New

then File Open

when switching from one MC file to another

File Save

then

File New

then File Open

when switching from one MC file to another

^This.

I don't know why I started doing that. I just always got an uneasy feeling when Mastercam would hang for a few seconds. So I started doing file>new, then file>open. Haven't had anything bad happen in a loooong time. (Shouldn'ta said that:::knocking on desk::::)

^This.

I don't know why I started doing that. I just always got an uneasy feeling when Mastercam would hang for a few seconds. So I started doing file>new, then file>open. Haven't had anything bad happen in a loooong time. (Shouldn'ta said that:::knocking on desk::::)

Its a habit learned the hard way in V9 days.

If I was working on a realy large part, V9 would frequently choke switching files

so I learned to save then hit File New then open the next file.

I don't think it's neccessary in X5, but old habits die hard

I switch between files regularly, I don't even use file open most of the time (let alone file new then open), just file save, then file > pick it from the recent list at the bottom... main file I'm on now is 6MB. Switched between that an a dozen other tool files probable 30 times already this morning. I have never had a problem losing files.

I messed with it more today. I can save and reopen from the file menu MRU, IF my files are saved to the desktop or locally. All of my files are saved to a server. I'm allotted 1.4TB, but I only have 175GB remaining, could that be causing an issue? My files are really small. I have a few files I saved to a folder on the desktop, when I try to drag>copy to the H drive, I get an error saying my 2.55 MB file is too large to copy to my H drive because there's only 174GB available!? Guess I'll call IT

Saipem you have had a bone to pick with us for a while now. I would appreciate it if you would reply in a professional manner and not spout out a bunch of non relevant information. We have 1000's of happy people using Verisurf that never had the problems you had. Thanks and have a better day.

The Verisurf name was attached to the Mastercam Error. Uninstall the Verisurf Free Add-on and the error will still pop up.

• Like 1
The Verisurf name was attached to the Mastercam Error. Uninstall the Verisurf Free Add-on and the error will still pop up.

+1

I have had Verisurf error messages come up for Mastercam errors... but that's just the bitmap file

of the error message, not the actual error..

+1

X5 maybe different now but based on your description I would say Verisurf has broken something.

I haven't been on the forum that long, but I have read what seems like a million topics, and that gives me the confidence to say... ^^^ Not True

Thank you very much Ron and the Verisurf team for your FREE tools.

Mic6, sorry for the hi-jack, let us know what IT comes up with.

Saipem you have had a bone to pick with us for a while now. I would appreciate it if you would reply in a professional manner and not spout out a bunch of non relevant information. We have 1000's of happy people using Verisurf that never had the problems you had. Thanks and have a better day.

Ron,

The fact is, the Verisurf integration was problematic and you know it.

Ernie himself made it a point to FIX the installation so it didn't pooch X3 or X4 if you uninstalled Verisurf.

Any installation that doesn't clean up after itself should be considered broken.

I stated MY experience.

I never stated that Verisurf was the definitive cause of the problem.

If you believe anything I said wasn't professional or accurate, take it up with a mod.

Nothing I posted was unprofessional, factually incorrect or in violation of the TOS of this forum.

Since Ernie himself never bothered to say anything but 'Thank You' to me for pointing out the problems,

You should stop whining.

Your post was clearly the unprofessional one.

If you don't like my posts, don't read them.

As a company I appreciate the way we do our best to address each individual customers problems and the fact you spoke the owner of Verisurf points that very thing out. I am sorry you feel I was unprofessional in my response, but I am very proud to work for Verisurf. We do some very unique things as company and I just to make sure people see we do care and are not a sloppy company that does integrate very well with Mastercam. Thank you for the comments and have a great day.