Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Part off with endmill on 4th axis?

Darin

Is it possible to use a end mill on a vertical and part off a part with the 4th axis spinning while the end mill only moves down in Z? Hope this makes sense. Kind of like parting of a part in a lathe but using a end mill and the 4th axis is the lathe chuck. Would I have to make a Z 3D tool path for this? How would I make the 4th axis keep spinning?

Thanks

I found an old file I did, if you have multi axis, I did it with Flow 5axis, Created a revolved surface where I wanted to part the peice off...

Also have done this right at the control, using Variables. Not certain your control, but I am certain it can be done on most, if it is already setup for the 4th, shoud have the right codes, but not sure though...

Great thanks for the info. It is for a Mazak 510c that has full 4 th axis capabilities. I have X5 with 5 axis. I will try these. I might need some advice on how to do these since I haven't done alot of helix's or much 5 axis stuff with MasterCam. Most my 5 axis stuff is with Espirt and Unigrahics.

Thanks

Here is my best shot...

If your working in top top...

switch to right side gview & cplane

-create

-helix

-you will have to play with the settings to fit your part (i don't know the size of your part) but I would start with.. radius = 0, revolutions = 5, height = 1, taper angle = 3, pitch = 2

- click on the orgin to place your helix

-xform

-project

-select your helix

-choose move, project to construction plane, and set the value to zero

now you have a nice spiral shape for your cutter to follow

-then mill contour, and chain it from the outside in, set compensation type to off, turn off lead in/out, axis sub, y axis...

I don't use axis sub much (if at all) so the rotary diameter is a big ? to me.... don't set it too small because they always say "avoid milling to center of rotary axis", I just set it to .0001 and Mcam is frozen!!

Good luck, post what works for you :)