Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Slow Operation Manager Response Time on Right Click

huskermcdoogle

Hey guys,

When I right click in the operation manager I get a very slow response. This has been a problem for me with other computers in the past, with x2 ,x3 and x4. This current computer was fine with x4 and x5, never had a problem but now all of a sudden it has a huge lag when I right click. This is obnoxious because now it takes 3 seconds each time for me to wait for the menu to come up. Anyone else experience this? Nothing has seemed to change with the computer, everything else processes fine and snappy.

Thanks,

Husker

File size in this case doesn't make a difference. I have had files that make it slow, but that takes well over 100 operations before that happens. Saving is also a PITA in this case. I routinely have files over 100MB, they take a while but file size doesn't seem to slow things down, just the number of operations / the size of the operation data. Main thing is a blank file takes forever. If I shut off my antivirus, it makes no difference. Anyone else?

Husker

• 2 weeks later...

Don't see anything going on when I right click. Beyond Stumped on this one. I was thinking about uninstalling and re-installing, because this is getting old while creating new programs.... Slows the the rhythm way down. Nobody from the resellers/dealers that have customers experiencing this. Could it have to do with running a nethasp locally?

Because that is the only commonality I can think of between this mcam system and the last one I had this trouble with.

Any easy way to test this nethasp theory.

Husker

Husker/Sled,

Where are your Temp files being written? Check in the Configuration file, in the Files Tab. Look at 'Temporary files root'.

There is a check box below the 'Data paths' section that has an option: 'Use Windows Temp Directory'. Is this checked?

If it is checked, I would expect your path to look like C:\Users\*your user name*\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP\mastercam

With Mastercam closed, try navigating to that folder and deleting any folders listed inside the ...\TEMP\mastercam folder.

Something else you can try is running 'RAM-Saver' on your file. See if that clears out a bunch of data or not. Are you Keymapping or Toolbar files located on the Network? IF SO, try saving them locally and setting your configuration file to point there.

Does your IT Department run any kind of security on the servers or network being used?

After clearing out the Temporary Files, try setting all your files to be read locally from your C: Drive. (This is just a test to see if the Network is responsible for the problem, or if it is Mastercam). If you are still experiencing issues, a re-installation may help.

Hope that helps,

Husker/Sled,

Where are your Temp files being written? Check in the Configuration file, in the Files Tab. Look at 'Temporary files root'.

There is a check box below the 'Data paths' section that has an option: 'Use Windows Temp Directory'. Is this checked?

If it is checked, I would expect your path to look like C:\Users\*your user name*\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP\mastercam

With Mastercam closed, try navigating to that folder and deleting any folders listed inside the ...\TEMP\mastercam folder.

Something else you can try is running 'RAM-Saver' on your file. See if that clears out a bunch of data or not. Are you Keymapping or Toolbar files located on the Network? IF SO, try saving them locally and setting your configuration file to point there.

Does your IT Department run any kind of security on the servers or network being used?

After clearing out the Temporary Files, try setting all your files to be read locally from your C: Drive. (This is just a test to see if the Network is responsible for the problem, or if it is Mastercam). If you are still experiencing issues, a re-installation may help.

Hope that helps,

Did everything here, though none of my files are being read from the network. There were only a few temporary files in the users local... folder.

No improvement.

Any other ideas? What about the hasp?

Husker

Husker,

I seriously doubt it is a HASP issue due to this: you say it is Toolpath or Ops Manager related.

Try this for me please: Load a completely different Machine Definition file, one you normally don't use. See if there is any improvement in accessing the Right-Click menu. Also, go into Windows Explorer and look at your Machine Definition file, inside \shared mcamx5\CNC Machines. How big is it?

You can try setting your Nethasp locally, just to rule out the Network, but I don't think that would be causing your issue.

What kind of computer (Processor, RAM) and what kind of Graphics Card do you have?

If you go into the Graphics Area of the Mastercam Interface and Right-Click, how quickly does the menu come up? Is it instantly, or do you get any delay? My guess is that if there is no delay, then that rules out the HASP.

Are any of the files you are using stored on a Network? Were any of the files stored on a Network at one time?

If the Control Definition ever had a Network Path stored inside it that no longer exists, Windows may be trying to validate that non-existent path. Go into your Control Definition File (Through the Machine Definition Manager), and click the "Existing Definitions" button. If there are reference paths there that you aren't using, go into the "Post Processors" button and remove those file paths.

Start with these and let me know what you find.

Thanks,

Are you running X5? If so, did you install under the default file path locations? (Program Files / Shared mcamx5 / My mcamx5)

Something else to try:

First, make backups of your Configuration File, Keymapping File, and Toolbar States File.

Next, delete the existing copies. Then start Mastercam. Mastercam will generate new 'Default' files. If this fixes the lag issue, then you'll need to dump your old files and modify the new ones to your preferences.

Are you running X5? If so, did you install under the default file path locations? (Program Files / Shared mcamx5 / My mcamx5)

Something else to try:

First, make backups of your Configuration File, Keymapping File, and Toolbar States File.

Next, delete the existing copies. Then start Mastercam. Mastercam will generate new 'Default' files. If this fixes the lag issue, then you'll need to dump your old files and modify the new ones to your preferences.

So I went through and did that latter items you have described in your last posts. Absolutely no change. Still slow for that. Mind you that is the only slow thing other than saving a 80Mb file.... Just right clicking in the operation manager that is. Right clicking in the graphics screen is the normal instant response.

As for the computer, Dell Precision T3500, 2.8ghz Xeon 64bit WIN7, 6GB ram, unfortunately it is an ATI card, but doesn't seem to have any trouble(Firepro V4800). I wasn't having this problem for the first year of operation using X4 then I switched to X5 everything was cool for a month or so, now the right click in operations manager is slow. The only thing that has changed since the upgrade to X5MU1 was going from a regular hasp to a nethasp, and come to think of it things changed about the same time. I have the same issue in X4MU3

As for my nethasp setup. I am currently set up using it locally (same config as the other computer that I had trouble with this in the past). The other computer that I have setup using MCam on the Nethasp as no lag issues with the right click menu in the operations manager.

Does the machine validate the hasp every time you right click in the ops manager screen?

Thanks,

Husker