Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

witch format?

sml2011

Hi to all

I open a part with different format :

1- Parasalid

2- IGES

3- Step

4- VDA

in parasalid format i had 1200 surface

In Step i had 2350 surface

in VDA format i had 5352 surface in the mastercam

Witch format is more power? the format that create more surface?

Witch format do you suggest to use for big and small parts?

Thank you

Hi to all

I open a part with different format :

1- Parasalid

2- IGES

3- Step

4- VDA

in parasalid format i had 1200 surface

In Step i had 2350 surface

in VDA format i had 5352 surface in the mastercam

Witch format is more power? the format that create more surface?

Witch format do you suggest to use for big and small parts?

Thank you

sml2011,

It really depends on the design software that was used. If it is SolidWorks I would ask them to provide you with the .sldprt file or Parasolid (.x_t). If it was designed with Pro-Engineer, ask for a STEP (.stp or .step) file. I always prefer solid formats. That includes most formats except .IGS ("I guess it's right"), which doesn't use solids. Others offered good advice in this thread, only use .IGS as a last resort. Be sure to click on the Options button at the bottom of the File-Open dialog. This way you can select the type of entities you would like to open into Mcam. I typically only bring in the solid and not "edge curves". Generating edge curves after importing the file gives the user more control over which entities are used. Allowing for edge curves to be imported with the solid makes more lines, arcs and splines than are needed. A smaller number of entities is generally considered better than more. More entities need larger amounts of storage space and more time to calculate toolpaths. If solids are not an option, still try for the closest to "native" file format available. Find out what program was used to design it. Than you'll have a good idea of which format you should use. :)

As far as "Witch is more powerful?", I'd say Glenda the Good Witch. :) But then again she is mostly talk. Unless you're playing a "Wizard of OZ" slot machine. Then the Wicked Witch of the West could be good too. :D

:D Sorry, couldn't help myself. :D