Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

ABS plastic

BenK

Double sided tape or vacuum is what I would normaly use but removing that much stock from the part will more than likely warp it to the point that neither will hold it down properly. Much less hold tolorance. Especially if we're talking about an extruded piece of stock.

It might be best to rough and stress relieve with heat before finishing, if the specs allow it.

With the right vacuum setup, I don't think the part will pull off. We routinely machine plastic as well as other materials using vacuum pressure to hold it with no problems. I have NOT machined a lot of ABS, so take it for what it's worth. But, a simple vacuum chuck makes for a short setup time, and easy change out if it will work for your application.

• 2 weeks later...

With the right vacuum setup, I don't think the part will pull off. We routinely machine plastic as well as other materials using vacuum pressure to hold it with no problems. I have NOT machined a lot of ABS, so take it for what it's worth. But, a simple vacuum chuck makes for a short setup time, and easy change out if it will work for your application.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes It can !

It even can break itself from inner stresses if vacuum will hold it

I have seen it in the past

I would rough the part ,give it to rest for a day .finish the rear surface before other things

We often anneal parts that are thin that require heavy machining. Rough the part out leaving .01" or so to finish off. Bring the parts up to about 180 degrees F over about an hour time, hold at 180 for about 2 hrs. and cool back down to room temperature over a 2-3 hr period. Then run finish passes. Should end up straight as an arrow. Vacuum plate should work fine.