Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multiple entities

k_barry

Hi

Is there any way I can see the number of entities in the database of a drawing?

I have started to teach Mastercam and some students when they are say... copying and rotating a profile of a 60 tooth gear.

They select the gear tooth then forget to enter the correct rotation angle and put in 360, instead of 360/60 and put in 60 steps and of course they get 60 profiles on top of each other.

These are very hard to find when they eventually do rotate it correctly it is hard to chain the entire outside profile.

Is there anyway I can see these extra etities?

Because I am not watching them copying the initial profile of the single tooth I find it hard to track down the duplicate entities.

At the moment I just delete an entity then refresh the screen to see if there is another one there.

Any better ways?

Regards

Kevin Barry

quote:

MUCH FASTER delete one entety if there are more you will see them then undelete

Faster than using Delete > Duplicate > Entities? Damn you're quick!

If you use plasttav's method, depending on your grafix card, you may need to repaint or z00m or pan the screen to "see" underlying entities.

'Rekd

Thanks all.

Wow! I am amazed at the knowledge on this forum.

I asked a couple of long time users (10 years) and they gave me no help.

My next question may seem dumb but here goes...

What is a chook and where do I find information about these?

Surface, you said the chook "findovlp.dll" will find and delete duplicate entities.

I have had a look on the help for Mastercam and they do not list chook at all.

I searched this site and can see that they are some sort of command written in a form of C+.

But how can I get them and then use them.

When I first got MC I remember my dealer saying something about C hooks but didn't take any notice. ( I am using V9.1)

Thanks for the replies.

Kevin Barry

quote:

I asked a couple of long time users (10 years) and they gave me no help.

Wow!!! Users of what????

quote:

What is a chook and where do I find information about these?

Hit Alt. C on your keyboard.

[ 06-26-2003, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: robk ]

Thanks robk

That was easy and there is a lot there.

Is there a list anywhere of what they all do?

One of the long time users I refered to upgraded to V9 SP1 (from V7 I think) a couple of months ago and still modifies his CNC code to suit himself after it is posted.

He didn't bother to ask the dealer to modify his post....

Thanks

Kevin Barry

quote:

Is there a list anywhere of what they all do?

Going through your Windows Explorer open up your mastercam folder. There is going to be a c-hook folder in there. Open it up. The c-hooks are explained in MS Word format and maybe text also (can't remember). Good Luck and enjoy. smile.gif

quote:

One of the long time users I refered to upgraded to V9 SP1 (from V7 I think) a couple of months ago and still modifies his CNC code to suit himself after it is posted.

He didn't bother to ask the dealer to modify his post....

One client of mine, his first question when he upgraded to V8 was 'Where are the wireframe toolpaths?' eek.gif

Rekd!

quote:

Faster than using Delete > Duplicate > Entities? Damn you're quick!

So what ? F3 is not quick ?

I know for sure about delete duplicate or find overlapped enteties but what I adviced is very fast ,NONDESTRUCTIVE method and nondestructive is what he need cause he is a teacher.

With a decent pc and video card using my way takes 3-4 seconds max if a drawing not 20-200 megs and with a use of hot keys very fast .

D-> -mouse click ->F3 U ->S .

I am so used to it may be it is strange but very fast.

Delete ->duplicate enteties is a destructive way wich is not always suitable ,Statistics you must make a bit calc in mind,level manager shows hidden enteties .

So I simple man go by simple way.

quote:

If you use plasttav's method, depending on your grafix card, you may need to repaint or z00m or pan the screen to "see" underlying entities.

It is may be misunderstanding.

You zoom to some area (F1).

You see the arc .now you delete it .

to be sure that it is not a graphic card problem you make repaint (F3).

Now if you still see this arc you can continue with this step more and you`ll know how many times your students rotated .

or you make undelete a needed number of times and you have the same drawing as before and your student will have a bit of fun.

He will remember good about delete ->duplicate after this !

To analise and edit contours is far mor interesting matter to talk about and far more complex.

Open your Mastercam help and make a search for c-hook , you`ll find article "C-Hook options available with Mastercam" with a description of Mastercam (native ,installed with a Mastercam ) C-hooks.

Most others as was mentioned before have a file with doc extention expaining it .

Learn about c-hooks you have ,some of them may be very useful for you !

Iskandar, you have a valid point, (as usual biggrin.gif ). Keep in mind, though, that Delete Duplicats has options for Color, Line Style, Point Style Level and Line Width. Plus you can use masking. So it's not as destructive as just deleting ALL duplicats.

Also, when you delete an entity, even if the screen doesn't refresh properly, moving your mouse over the same area will "highlight" another entity if it exists. So we'er both all wet on that one. biggrin.gif

You also make a good point about analyzing contours being more exciting. Ahh, to have a database interface to chained entities that you could manipulate right then and there.

'Rekd teh flashing back on Gibbs again :/