Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Graphics Card Setting Recommendations for Mastercam

austing

The FX-3700 is an excellent medium duty card for Mastercam

ON the System Config/Screen page you should have

Open Gl on

Dishable Hardware acceleration off

Disable Front Buffer off

In the Nvidia settings, I just run default settings

That is how I have my Mastercam set-up. A while back someone told me to switch my Nividia settings to Dassault Systems Catia-compatable. I also notice that a program settings is available so that you can set-up Mastercam specific settings.

My graphics card is shaky at best. When I got o verify and stl compare I get white outs and it seems as if my screen is trying to refresh. It takes forever and I can't even get out of the compare before it finishes it's business.

I am not trying to move the view during a compare (I learned that lesson a long time ago).

That is how I have my Mastercam set-up. A while back someone told me to switch my Nividia settings to Dassault Systems Catia-compatable. I also notice that a program settings is available so that you can set-up Mastercam specific settings.

My graphics card is shaky at best. When I got o verify and stl compare I get white outs and it seems as if my screen is trying to refresh. It takes forever and I can't even get out of the compare before it finishes it's business.

I am not trying to move the view during a compare (I learned that lesson a long time ago).

I would think that if your toolpath (stock model) and stl are fairly large most if not all mid range cards might choke with the compare. That could be a huge amount of data to have all up at once considering fine detail and resolution settings.

"I am even getting "white outs" when generating toolpaths.'

I get that with any video card. Settings do not make a difference. Crunching a tool path should not have an effect on the video but it does. Move the mouse, white out and locked out till it's finished.  On the plus side, this forces you to seriously think about your settings before closing out the box and has in some way made me a better programmer.

"I am even getting "white outs" when generating toolpaths.'

I get that with any video card. Settings do not make a difference. Crunching a tool path should not have an effect on the video but it does. Move the mouse, white out and locked out till it's finished. On the plus side, this forces you to seriously think about your settings before closing out the box and has in some way made me a better programmer.

not seeing that with the Quadro FX-3800 on my home machine or

the FX-4800 at work

Fx500, fx3450, fx3500, Firegl 5600, and 9800gt. All these cards caused white outs during tp calculation for me in XP32. I know, they are not the greatest cards either. If I move the mouse or enter another app., MC whites out. Latest drivers and I run my system OS almost naked. 25 processes at most and all eye candy disabled.

I do use rocketdock, maybe that's the culprit.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1
I do use rocketdock, maybe that's the culprit.

There was an app a number of year back for Windows that improved the look of windows graphics-wise, but you paid a price whe running CAD/CAM a lot of the time. I'd be willing to bet you're right.

If you're on Vista.

Right click on the Mastercam launch icon, go to the compatibility tab and click the box to disable desktop composition.

I will say even after doing this on my old Vista box I could still have graphics weirdness at times, it never was a great platform

As noted in a couple of posts - I am NOT seeing whiteouts or other graphics artifacts. I DO have both 64bit and 32bit computers though, and the 32bit system with 4gigs of ram DOES share memory with the graphics card. It uses a 'mapped address' system to share the memory / add to the memory of the graphics card.

On the 32bit system, I have had issues - which is why I only rarely use it. On that system, even adding a graphics card with 1gig of dedicated memory didn't help. I would consider, if you are using a 32bit system, hunting down another computer you can use for a half hour or so, and trying Mastercam with your part that is demonstrating the problem and seeing if the problem doesn't go away. I don't think it will matter what graphics card it has.

Just a thought.